Anyone into model trains?

Dark Slide

• Members

My son really likes trains, so I picked one up for Christmas and had it under the tree for him to play with, which he enjoyed quite a bit. Well, today I'm in Marden's (a local surplus store) and I notice they have a couple Bachmann Big Hauler trains on sale for $20. I figured it was a decent enough deal, so I snagged one. Well, I get to the counter and the woman says "I think that's a Christmas item, so it's 80% off." So she calls her manager to confirm and in the process gets told that the trains are for display only because they don't work... which sucks, but for $4 (after the 80% off) I figure I can tinker on it and maybe figure out what's up. I get it home, set it up and it works fine right out of the box, so I think "Well, there's another one there for $4 also... I might as well pick it up for spare parts, extra track, etc." I get THAT one home and it seems to work also, but lots of skipping and stuttering. This box was in much worse condition and looks like there was probably some water damage. Unfortunately I don't really know anything about these so I am not sure what I might be able to do for it other than oil it up, slap some grease inside and hope for the best...

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in the off chance that someone might know anything about them. Apparently it is a a limited edition set. Northern Lights, it's called.

• Members

If it's the 4-6-0 ten-wheeler, those are replicas of the ET&NWC or Tweetsie engines, of a narrow-gage line in the mountains of, well, East Tennessee and North West Carolina. If they have metal side rods, connecting the large 3 drive wheels on each side, they're reffered to as "Annies" by nickname, and are they're better engines of those sets.

At one time I was super into HO, and planning to go O narrow-gage. If I did it today, I'd probably do G, the size you got. And since I'd be looking at modeling something similar to the ET&NWC line, those would be perfect engines to start with.

• Members

Model trains are just like boobs.

Designed for kids but in the end Daddy uses them the most.

Haha, I don't play with it much at all, actually... unless he's standing over the tracks wanting the train to go through the "tunnel." He gets a kick out of that. I have too many other hobbies to spend model training... not that I'm against it. It would probably be a lot of fun with the time and right space. Probably my propensity for boobs takes up extra time that could be spend modeling... I'm ok with that.

• Members

I would guess that any good hobby stores would have maintenance books for model railroad gear. I have an old HO engine that always screeched and stuttered, but as I understood it, it was a design flaw in that engine, there was nothing to be done. My son got it out a year ago, and it still ran, and still did the same thing.

Look around on-line, you might find a group or chat page that discusses how to deal with your issues. It's insanely popular as a hobby, and they like to help noobs. Good luck!

• Members

I've got two LGB G gauge sets that we set up for Christmas.

And a ton of HO stuff including a good amount of UK and European models.

A decent start on a HOn3 collection, and a small number of HOn30 (runs on N gauge track) pieces. Someday when I get time, I'll set up a new layout.

• Members

When i was a kid, I had a HO train table my dad had built before I was born. I would guess it was about 4'x8' and had two levels. I really enjoyed it, but when I went off to college, my parents moved out in the country and didn't have room for it so they donated it to a local model railroad club and parts and pieces of it were incorporated into their display at the local train station / rail museum. I kept a few of my favorite engines and buildings and stuff in hopes of one day building another one. I even had my daughter interested in helping me build one when she was younger, but we never had room in our current house. Now between my other hobbies (basses and motorcycles) I don't seem to have the time and still don't have the room! :lol:

Archived