Saw some live jazz last night

Thunderbroom

• Members

I'm not much for jazz, but there was a free show in Chicago and an acquaintance of my wife's (and mine to some extent) was in the band. The band consisted if 6 folks...drummer, percussionist, bassist (the guy I know), pianist, and two horn players.

I'm not sure what I thought about the whole thing because I'm not into jazz, but I must say the bassist was phenomenal. I figured Mike would be good as he's been playing professionally for over 30 years. His bass was kinda weird though. It was an EUB but the upper 1/4 - 1/3 looked like an URB. My wife and I have decided to go and check him out at one of his regular gigs at the Green Mill.

Edit: I just found out he posts on TB. Way cool!!

I also found a link to the site for the bass: Link

That's Mike playing in the video at the bottom of the page.

:cool:

:eek:

• Members

Jesus, what a monster
:eek:
:thu:

Yeah...he didn't get even remotely as crazy as that video last night but I was still like :eek:.

According to a bio that I've read about him, he's played every major jazz festival and major jazz club in the world. I believe it. This is how he earns his living.

• Members

I heard them on XM station Beyond Jazz* quite a few times. I'm the least likely person to be a rabid fan of a jazz vocal group, but I am. They do some outstanding jams that I can really "connect" with. The version of Mourning Grace they played was just killer. Good stuff.

*Before the XM / Sirius merger and they took away all my favorite stations and I'll never forgive them for that. :mad:

Archived