Start singing

guitarheo3

• Members

Hey,

My band is stuck for now since we havn't found a singer yet. I've decided that maybe I'll try it so we can get going. But I don't know one thing about singing. I play lead guitar also so it would be most like Metallica with not much words. So what r some tips you guys have on singing for a noob? Do I really need to take lessons or can I kinda figure it out on my own?

Another question is in the way of mics and crap, can i get by w/just a $12 mic plugged into a guitar amp?

• Members

First of all: You need to start singing. A lot. I try to sing whenever possible, actually I'm singing while I write this. To be a good singer, there is no shortcuts, you need several hundred hours of singing. Don't mind if you suck at first, try to sound better and quality will come.

Lessons is good. Books/CD's/DVD is OK. As long as you sing alot trying to sound better, which is the most important. Don't be afraid to try things out.

If your band is gonna gig, get a decent mic and DON'T run it into a guitar amp.

• Members

A decent microphone is about $100. You can get Shure SM58 on ebay, you won't go wrong with one of them, as long as it's genuine.

You can't put it through the guitar amp because

1) The jack won't match. This is a for a good reason:

2) The guitar amp is designed to put out a completely different sound. Vocals through it will just be yuck.

If your band is going to have vocals (!) you need a PA. Put the mike into that :)

GaJ

• Members

By the way, if you have the same determination with learning to sing that you did painting that guitar, you are going to rock, man!

I've nearly finished reading it just now. What an epic story. I can't believe you sanded it all back when it all went wrong instead of just throwing it away :)

... damn, read the last page and the story's not over yet, now I'm hanging for the next episode!!

GaJ

• Members

It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to go to a local music store that offers lessons.

Mainly, just to get a good idea of where your producing tones from and proper breath control. Bring in a few cd's of bands with similar vocal styles you're going for, that way the teacher can do their best to really direct you somewhere.

Keep in mind, a lot of old school teachers will listen to Metallica/Pantera/Slayer or most other metal music, (especially the heavier, Lamb Of God/Mudvayne/In Flames) and tell you you're just going to ruin your voice singing that way...

If that's the case, it might be best to find another teacher somewhere...or go to MelissaCross.com

Archived