looking for a microphone

Jealousblues

• Members

hey guys im looking for a microphone since I managed to lose my SM 58

Im a guitar player who sings a bit and does some rapping

I also think i have a thinner, higher pitched voice fwiw.

I was pretty happy with the sm 58 but now im wondering if I should try a different mic or not?

I was considering upgrading to the beta 58 but I dont know what the difference really is or if its worth it.

oh, and I cannot stand flat faced mics. Ive used our keyboard players EV mic and I just dont care for that style of grill, since I usually get right up on the mic, plus for some reason if you back off it, it will lose you much sooner.

• Members

hey guys im looking for a microphone since I managed to lose my SM 58

Im a guitar player who sings a bit and does some rapping

I also think i have a thinner, higher pitched voice fwiw.

I was pretty happy with the sm 58 but now im wondering if I should try a different mic or not?

I was considering upgrading to the beta 58 but I dont know what the difference really is or if its worth it.

oh, and I cannot stand flat faced mics. Ive used our keyboard players EV mic and I just dont care for that style of grill, since I usually get right up on the mic, plus for some reason if you back off it, it will lose you much sooner.

Considering that a lot of lead singers still use 58's, I don't see a reason why a background singer should "upgrade" from it. Specially if you like the way your voice sounds.

Beta 58s have a stronger low cut ( or at least they sound thinner), so if you have a high voice... I don't know. Beta or not, it also depends on your live setup (your monitoring system), because it's a hyper cardioid.

I used a Beta 58 for a short while, but I have an extremely low and full voice. For high voices I would stick to the 58 maybe.

Upgrade the preamp :)

• Members

I would look into Audio Technica Atm710, condenser microphone:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-ATM710-CONDENSER-VOCAL-MICROPHONE-?sku=270318

and the Audio Technica AT2010.... http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-AT2010-Handheld-Condenser-Microphones?sku=270384

They are great handheld microphones, crisp, rich, full, they are awesome.....

I use them personally....

Hope this helps...

Omar :thu:

• Members

For certain instruments, yeah, it's used a lot, with good results. You just need a good preamp. The SM7b is more versatile and more defined, if you want a good dynamic mic.

You really don't have any idea of what you're talking about, do you?

To the OP - I think you're right in sticking with the 58. If you ever want to try something out, try a Beyer M88. I've had good luck warming up higher pitched voices with it.

Archived