Rotosound

sub5ound

• Members

After years of fighting with flats, I think I finally found what works for me. It's amazing how long I've overlooked Roto's considering I have tried EVERYTHING in my search for the most tonefull, comfortable flats. Having tried Roto's on a vintage '65 Precision and a few modern ones, I had all but given up on them. The tension/stiffness turned me off big time though I always found the tone surperior to most other flats. I ultimately have come to the conclusion that it wasn't really the strings, it was the bassses I was using them on! The oldest bass I own is an 80's Schecter Jazz bass and through all these years I don't think I once threw flats on it. I was always experimenting with flats on the various precisions I have owned, it being such a storied combination and all. But that was the problem. My hands weren't up to the task of wrestling those strings into submission, but on my jazz they are perfect! I have finally found a standard gauge flat that I can see myself using more than two weeks, in fact, I am gonna see just how long I can leave these puppies on. This is no small task for me since I normally change strings almost every month, but I plan on leaving the DR Sunbeams on my P bass too since they are simply the the best all around strings I have ever used for it (a large part of it, I think, because of the more flexable round cores).

Just thought I'd share. How long you guys been rocking your flats and what brands are you using. Anybody used Roto's (Jazz) for a while and then found something better?

• Members

I have used lighter gauge flats succesfully a couple times, but they seemed to lose tone faster than standard gauge. Got an old set to send me?

Nope, they are still sitting nicely, where they sit.

Not sure, what you mean by losing tone. The ones I've had trouble with were d'Addarios. The G-strings died in no time, but they were from the same batch, IIRC, so that could be the reason.

After the initial slight zingyness (?) ITs go into oomph mode, which they seem to hold forever. One of the good things with those flats. ITs are warm and flexible.

Got Roto Jazz '77s on one bass. Nice strings. They hold up a long time as well and are not as expensive to begin with, but personally I like the flexibility of ITs better.

If you want more of a rounds sound, half'n'halfs or halfrounds could be a solution. Never tried them, so maybe someone else can give you an input.

• Members

After years of fighting with flats, I think I finally found what works for me. It's amazing how long I've overlooked Roto's considering I have tried EVERYTHING in my search for the most tonefull, comfortable flats. Having tried Roto's on a vintage '65 Precision and a few modern ones, I had all but given up on them. The tension/stiffness turned me off big time though I always found the tone surperior to most other flats. I ultimately have come to the conclusion that it wasn't really the strings, it was the bassses I was using them on! The oldest bass I own is an 80's Schecter Jazz bass and through all these years I don't think I once threw flats on it. I was always experimenting with flats on the various precisions I have owned, it being such a storied combination and all. But that was the problem. My hands weren't up to the task of wrestling those strings into submission, but on my jazz they are perfect! I have finally found a standard gauge flat that I can see myself using more than two weeks, in fact, I am gonna see just how long I can leave these puppies on. This is no small task for me since I normally change strings almost every month, but I plan on leaving the DR Sunbeams on my P bass too since they are simply the the best all around strings I have ever used for it (a large part of it, I think, because of the more flexable round cores).

Just thought I'd share. How long you guys been rocking your flats and what brands are you using. Anybody used Roto's (Jazz) for a while and then found something better?

what different flats have you tried and what problems did you have? I, myself, was trying to find out more about roto flats. I've used D'Adds, La Bellas, and Thomastik. Out of those 3, La Bellas work best for me. I've never tried rotos.

Archived