rowka, bogster and any other north floridians

mlwarriner

• Members

I really like living here. Granted, I have a job (not as a teacher), and no kids in school, so I can't really speak to those things with any authority.

We've got the ocean/beach/bikinis/surf/fishing/boating - if you're into that.

We've got fresh/brackish water/bikinis/boating/fishing - if you're into that.

We've got our own highly rated symphony - if you're into that.

We've got an NFL team, and minor league Baseball and Hockey teams - if you're into that.

Lots of excellent dining choices, drinking establishments, dance, club, rock, punk, hip-hop, country, etc. - if you're into that.

It's got some {censored}-hole areas and some extravagantly opulent areas, but mostly it's middle class.

Musically, if you're good, you'll have no problem. There are plenty of very good original bands in Jax, but very few venues for original music. There are lots of mediocre cover bands playing all the time at lots of places making some fair scratch. A GOOD cover band plays as often as they want and makes a bit more. A GREAT cover band, well, there are only a few of us here ;).

If you do it right, you can pull between $30 and $50 k a year (but that's gigging 5-7 nights a week).

Anything specific you want to know?

• Members

more of a general sense i guess. missus and i are quickly tiring of kansas city weather, and pondering a move.

ideally, i'd like to transfer to another office within my company, hence jax. if we had an office in savannah, ga i'd be on it like stink on rice.

thanks for the info. just feeling out different choices. we've got a {censored}-ton of offices in south fla, but i have no interest in going there. ever.

• Members

ft. myers, gainesville, jacksonville, miami lakes, orlando, panama city, pensacola, sarasota, tampa and west palm beach

If those were the choices?

I would MOST definitely pick Jacksonville as well.

This area of florida is really unique. North eastern Florida has some awesome spots in it. Beaches where you can still get away and be by yourself. Maybe if you could get outside of Jacksonville a little bit and not be in the city.

But, I am more of a country-oriented person I guess, not a huge city fan.

• Members

If those were the choices?

I would MOST definitely pick Jacksonville as well.

This area of florida is really unique. North eastern Florida has some awesome spots in it. Beaches where you can still get away and be by yourself. Maybe if you could get outside of Jacksonville a little bit and not be in the city.

But, I am more of a country-oriented person I guess, not a huge city fan.

JAX is the only florida office in the running as far as i'm concerned. and there's several small towns a few miles out that appeal to me for a place to actually live. callahan was the first one i looked at, and the real estate there is decently priced. i'm sure there's others that would work too. i just don't want an hour plus commute every damned day.

• Members

Jacksonville proper is the largest city in the US (in terms of land area).

There are lots of areas in Jacksonville, very little of it (if any, really) could be called "city."

ummm...

750,000 people is a city to me.

I was from a valley of 1,200 people. maybe 500 in the town.

maybe.

grew up in a town of (not joking) 36. drove 45 minutes to school, where my senior class was 32.

so, it seems like a pretty large city to me. ;)

• Members

ah right on, I guess I am still stuck in extreme lack of people mode. I am used to maybe 3-400 in a square mile and hardly anyone for 100 miles past that. ;)

But I do see what you are saying. And I did notice how spread out it was the last time I was there. You are right, more suburbia than anything, but when it connects up with each other(and you know it will eventually) it will be MASS amounts of people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

more of a general sense i guess. missus and i are quickly tiring of kansas city weather, and pondering a move.

ideally, i'd like to transfer to another office within my company, hence jax. if we had an office in savannah, ga i'd be on it like stink on rice.

thanks for the info. just feeling out different choices. we've got a {censored}-ton of offices in south fla, but i have no interest in going there. ever.

One thing to remember about florida vs georgia, is there are no state taxes in florida. :thu: and towards the beaches is wayy bettah.

• Members

One thing to remember about florida vs georgia, is there are no state taxes in florida.
:thu:
and towards the beaches is wayy bettah.

GA isn't on the list, because i won't move myself or my family to atlanta (and that's our only office). jacksonville is high on the list because it's close to wife's cousin, and we have an office there.

• Members

what's the area around callahan/ratliff like?

what about hero/yulee/italia?

i'm pondering living more out in the burbs/sticks than right smack in town...

Callahan and Yulee are practically farm country, without the farms. Think, "you got a purdy mouth, boy."

Really, most of Jax is burbs.

If you can ever plan a trip, I'd be glad to show you around.

• Members

Callahan and Yulee are practically farm country, without the farms. Think, "you got a purdy mouth, boy."

Really, most of Jax is burbs.

If you can ever plan a trip, I'd be glad to show you around.

realistically, we're at least a year or two away from moving. too much {censored} to get rid of, too many houses to sell on this end, to just jump and go.

i've put a bug in my boss's ear about it, and he's on the lookout for TDY work with our office there.

if nothing else, if/when we get closer to actually making the move, i'll come down and scout for a while.

chances are good we'll probably get an apartment or something for a year or two, to make sure we're going to stay before we commit to buying a house.

Archived