Car Stereo Purchase/Installation

Thunderbroom

• Members

The factory stereo in my Element has to go. I was spoiled with the head in my van...USB/Aux In on front. I'd switch it to my Element but it won't fit.

Is Best Buy the only place in the Chicago area to buy a new head unit and have it installed? I used to go to Circuit City. I'm not looking for a fancy system; I just want something like I had with the USB/Aux In on the front and am also thinking maybe one that has bluetooth built in.

Do any of you know of places in the Chicago area that are reputable and provide same-day service (ideally)?

• Members

I think I'm going to order from Crutchfield and do it myself.

I've narrowed it down to the following units based on essential features (front USB, aux it and built-in bluetooth) that I want/need:

Pioneer DEH-P6100BT

Kenwood KDC-BT742U

They are similar in all regards; however, the Pioneer is listed at 14w per channel and the Kenwood at 22w. Also, the SNR on the Pioneer is 94db and the Kenwood is 105dB.

I'm leaning Kenwood.

• Members

Pioneer FTW!

Do you not have Ultimate Electronics or Car Toys in Chicago? I got my last system from Car Toys and they did a great job with it.

**eidt

That's s/n for CD playback though. Not really going to matter if you're listening to an iPod most of the time. They also don't list thd, which is strange... Usually they'll rate the power handling at like 20W at .05%THD or something. Hmm. The biggest plus to the Pioneer system is the 4 volt preamp outs. If you ever add another amp, 4V is better than 2.5V

• Moderators

Not near me...

What kind of volume difference can I expect between 14w and 22w inside my car?

None.

Crutchfield is great. When I lived in C-ville I used to go into the store and talk with the folks. Even the guys on the floor knew what the heck they were talking about. I'm definitely pro-Crutchfield. :thu:

In Chicago, I once used Circuit City, but that doesn't help us now! :lol:

• Members

I'm leaning towards the Pioneer after reading way too much.

I also thought that I may replace the stock speakers. There's not a whole lot to choose from in the 6.5" range from Crutchfield. I want to keep the speakers to $50 each or less.

Rear:

Pioneer TS-G1643R

$50 pair

30 - 28k Hz

90 dB at 1 watt

30w RMS

Front:

Polk Audio db651s

$99 pair

50 - 22k Hz

92 dB at 1 watt

55w RMS

Will I notice a difference replacing the stock speakers?!? I would like to think so. We're only talking $150 here plus my time.

• Members

I think I'm going to order from Crutchfield and do it myself.

this. the cats at crutchfield are aces, and i've never had bad dealings with them. you order your stuff, it's the right stuff when you get it, and everything works.

if it's not included, drop the extra jack for the wiring harness/adapter thingie so it'll all plug straight into your factory wires. having butchered more wiring inside a car's dash than i care to admit, i've wisened enough to know at least that much.

• Members

For the head, these are the included installation accessories:

h120701721-fp.jpg

Honda/Acura/Suzuki Receiver Wire Harness For select Honda, Acura, and Suzuki models, 1998-up

h12040HD10-fp.jpg

Honda Antenna Adapter Motorola Male to OEM Female

h003HONK828-fp.jpg

Honda In-dash Receiver Kit Fits select 2002-up models

Chassis sizes S and E

• Members

Just curious...why is it that aftermarket heads seem to top out at around 22w RMS per channel? Is it a function of size of a single DIN stereo? What about a double DIN? It seems you could pack in a higher wattage digital amp in there and remove the need for all those external amps that people use.

• Members

For most people, 22w is more than enough.

That's why there are more than one set of pre-outs. If you need more, it can be had fairly cheaply. An external amp will be louder and cleaner if need be. $120+ wiring gets you about 50w per channel.

Do you have the 4 or 7 speaker setup?

In my truck, I have a JVC head unit (Avx-44, ~$400). It didn't do much for volume/clarity, but it gave me bluetooth, dvd mp3 disk, and a usb port in the glove box for additional audio. I use a usb thumb drive with mp3's on it for my day to day listening. Don't have to worry about the ipod getting stolen, cheap, and easy to swap music.

Archived