New amp day...

Dark Slide

• Members

... alright, here it is. Lets get some feedback, since there was some discussion about it in the other thread.

ampeg1.jpg

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/ampeg/ampeg2.jpg (High res)

I don't have time to take better pictures right now. But I can later. I don't see a V4 anywhere near the VT22... though it DOES look like something might have been wiped off next to the VT22?

I've never owned a tube amp before, so fill me in. Don't turn it on without having a load on it, I know that.... but that's about it.

Oh, and the guy did say something about the extra hole. SOmething about someone (before he got it) putting in some kind of master volume. *Shrug*

Sounds killer. Very happy. Loud as a bastard. Can't turn it past 9 o'clock without knocking {censored} off my walls.

• Members

So, what is it? Is it the same as the V4B? I'm a little confused because it seemed like the Vt22 only came as a combo.

My guitarist has a V4B that he's supposed to be putting putting new caps in. No idea the condition or anything, but he seems to like the idea of owning this and I'm friggin clueless.

• Moderators

My guitarist has a V4B that he's supposed to be putting putting new caps in. No idea the condition or anything, but he seems to like the idea of owning this and I'm friggin clueless.

The V-4B is basically the same amp you have only without reverb and with slightly different EQ.

• Members

One of two things happened, either that was originally sold as a combo and someone stuck in a head box or (more likely I believe) Ampeg grabbed a VT22 chassis and used it to build a V-4. It doesn't really matter, it's all the same now.

The V-4B is basically the same amp you have only without reverb and with slightly different EQ.

Alright, well that gives me something to think about anyway.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to tomorrow when I can really mess with this thing. I was pretty surprised at how loud it was. I'm going to have to find a good cab to match this up with now.

• Moderators

I was pretty surprised at how loud it was. I'm going to have to find a good cab to match this up with now.

If you pair the amp with a large enough cabinet it is huge sounding. If you pair it with a small cabinet, you'll get fantastic overdriven tone at reasonable volume. Pair it up for your desired effect!

• Members

Man, I've had some time to jam a bit this morning and {censored}ing a this thing rules. I've never been much of a gear whore and always been happy with whatever I have kicking around... but this thing just rules. I need a cab for it now.

What are people playing their through. I might get a friend of mine to let me borrow his Henry 8x8 to try it out. I love that cab.

And I can't imagine having to play loud enough that I would actually have to crank this thing.

• Moderators

I use a homemade cabinet with a 15" woofer and a 6" midrange, shown below with a different amp:

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

It is perfect for me to play live because I can run it right at the level where it is clean until I dig in to get it to growl. I love it.

You can see the corner of my V-4B in the bottom left of the pics.

• Members

Cool amp. I just love those. :cool:

I'm going to have to find a good cab to match this up with now.

Those heads are odd because they're 27" wide and will hang over most cabs. I used a 6 X 10 with my V4-B most of last summer and it kicked ass. Then I got a couple of 4 ohm 2 X 12 cabs built to go with it. One is plenty loud enough for most gigs, but I can stack 2 if I want to get huge...:cop:

They sound nice too. :)

• Members

Man, I've had some time to jam a bit this morning and {censored}ing a this thing rules. I've never been much of a gear whore and always been happy with whatever I have kicking around... but this thing just rules. I need a cab for it now.

What are people playing their through. I might get a friend of mine to let me borrow his Henry 8x8 to try it out. I love that cab.

And I can't imagine having to play loud enough that I would actually have to crank this thing.

I'm using Ampeg V-6B cabinets loaded with JBL K140s.

gibsonbasses.jpg

Archived