Please review - Studio rough mix

ModmanQ6

• Members

So Sunday, I got together with a couple of guys and we knocked out 5 one take songs. I added a couple extra vocal tracks to this one to fill it out. There are some pitchy parts on my vocals that I'll be going back over, but please give a listen and an honest opinion. This is not the final version, but we are making a demo CD to get gigs...

The song is a cover of the Eagles - Lying Eyes

I'm playing my Peavey GV

The drummer is playing a Roland TD-20 kit into one channel mono centered

The guitar player laid down 2 tracks with a Taylor acoustic

All vocal tracks were done separately (5 total)

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Click here to listen...

• Members

Negatives:

The bass is too loud in the mix for me. I know that's weird for a bass player to say but it needs to come down imho. At least on the first one :) Could stand to come down quite a lot relative to the drums and guitar. Kinda distracting.

The guitar leads need to come up in my opinion.

There's some kind of background noise that's a little distracting, but I can't place what it is. Like cymbal wash or hiss maybe?

Not a big fan of the background vocals, something weird about them.

Positives:

I like WHAT you played and I like the song for what it is (Not my style).

I like the guitar sound and the vocal melody.

Overall: Sounds good rough but the bass is too much imho, and is going to distract from everything else.

• Members

I like the guitar and bass they sound great , over all it feels a hair rushed compared to the original , it could be the loud kick drum , if there is anything you fix bring the kick down . The vocals are ok could use a little more character but it will do , the one backup is pitchy .

• Members

All in all it sounds good. Nice guitars and a very good bass tone.

A further point to be added in my opinion is that you might want to accentuate more (for instance at 1,09) if you want to keep the tempo, which does seem a tad rushed. Also when the background vocals come in. They are a bit tame, but of course you haven't got a Schmidt.

Good work.

• Members

I'm with yankins re the bass Vol. But maybe that because I am listening through head phones

You have a really good voice. But maybe that many over dubbed backing vox is over the top.

The drums sound over produced and the kick is to busy, is my only feed back.

Over all great work for a demo

• Members

I'm with yankins re the bass Vol. But maybe that because I am listening through head phones

You have a really good voice. But maybe that many over dubbed backing vox is over the top.

The drums sound over produced and the kick is to busy, is my only feed back.

Over all great work for a demo

I've been trying to listen to this on every different system I can to get a feel for how it plays and get a nice compromise mix. My wife also thought the layers of backing vocals weren't realistic for a trio either...:D The drums are a single channel off the TD-20, so I can only eq the single track - next time it will be 3 - Kick and panned stereo feed for the rest so each piece has a realistic placement in the virtual sound field.

This is a great learning experience. If anyone wants to hear one of the other songs they are:

Allison - Elvis Costello

A Day in The Life - The Beatles

Shower the People - James Taylor

and an original called Time Goes On - I need to get my drummer's permission before posting this as it's not mine to share...

:cool:

• Members

like it man
:)
agree the bass could come down maybe the smallest bit. and maybe make the kit a little more balanced? got a nice set of pipes on ya though and pretty good on the old bass too...is that the original bass line or an adaptation?

Chlo x

Thanks. I'm singing most of the backups, not the lead part. The bass line is an adaptation as I find it difficult to stick to an exact part unless it's written in front of me (sheet music) and it's been about 25 years since I have played to sheet. I've always been rather an over-player too, but since recording and reviewing all my practices and gigs I've learned to ratchet back a bit and play more tastefully. This being a trio gives me a lot of leeway in my part because so many other instruments are missing and the notes they carried are all options... tastefully of course... :)

• Members

Overall, it's definitely not terrible. I agree that it seems just a shade fast.

And like you already admitted, the vocal harmony is definitely a bit pitchy/off at times.

As for the bass volume, if it needs to come down, I think it needs to BARELY come down. I thought it was actually pretty close for the song. If anything was too loud, I thought maybe some of the lead guitar parts were just a bit overpowering, but that might just be personal preference for a more balanced mix.

I might work on the drum mix just a little more too, but it wasn't awful.

Overall, I thought the instrument parts were all rather good. They just need to be mixed a little more evenly here and there.

Archived