Feeding a power amp?

mlwarriner

• Members

The MXR needs a voltage mod to push a power amp - I have tried mine with a QSC Plx2502 and 3002 and it was waaaay too quiet (despite sounding good). The VT bass sansamp pedal will push most power amps under ~1.2v or so input sensitivity with no problems, but may have issues with the bigger sensitivities (1.5v+ especially).

There is a very cheap (40-50 bucks) mod out there to increase the headroom and add a balanced output to the VT bass pedal which is a good idea.

The BDDI, as I recall, will run a power amp if you do a voltage mod to 18v. But with how cheap they are I would just get a BBE BMax or a Sansamp RBI instead.

• Members

I love my RBI the way I'm running it, but having run it directly into a power amp in the past, I would not recommend this.

It drives the amp okay, but IMO the tone is a little midrangey and lacking depth in the low end, especially if you're looking to push the drive anywhere past 10 o'clock.

Think Michael Anthony's tone on the early VH albums for an idea.....

I get the best tone out of the sansamp by blending its effected tone with a dry tone from my bass.

• Members

I love my RBI the way I'm running it, but having run it directly into a power amp in the past, I would not recommend this.

I can't say for sure but I believe it's likely your power amp has a high input sensitivity. The RBI wants 1.0v or less ideally and sounds infinitely better with the more sensitive amps.

The problem I have with the RBI is that for the less sensitive inputs (e.g 1.2v+) it requires too much drive to achieve usable volume, which makes it sound kind of nasally.

Archived