NAD: Incoming

mlwarriner

• Members

So I quickly learned that the GK combo just wasn't going to be enough for gigging, even with a good extension cab, especially when it went into shutdown after an hour or so of not being pushed all that hard. I'm not OK with my gear just randomly shutting down, ever. I was running an 8ohm cab, which GK says is fine.

Whatever. I'll keep the combo, as it's perfect for my church gig and occasional at-home noodling.

But for gigging, I just ordered one of these:

565567.jpg

They're on backorder for a week or so, but I'm in no big hurry. If I need a big rig, I've got people around me I can borrow from temporarily. But the watts-for-bucks ratio is good, and the modeling interests me. I've heard the combo version of this setup, and it wasn't bad. Several different "almost like" models inside. Chances are I'll never use the on-board effects, since they're not FX I'd use anyhow and I've heard they're meh at best.

• Members

So I quickly learned that the GK combo just wasn't going to be enough for gigging, even with a good extension cab, especially when it went into shutdown after an hour or so of not being pushed all that hard. I'm not OK with my gear just randomly shutting down, ever. I was running an 8ohm cab, which GK says is fine.

Whatever. I'll keep the combo, as it's perfect for my church gig and occasional at-home noodling.

But for gigging, I just ordered one of these:

565567.jpg

They're on backorder for a week or so, but I'm in no big hurry. If I need a big rig, I've got people around me I can borrow from temporarily. But the watts-for-bucks ratio is good, and the modeling interests me. I've heard the combo version of this setup, and it wasn't bad. Several different "almost like" models inside. Chances are I'll never use the on-board effects, since they're not FX I'd use anyhow and I've heard they're meh at best.

Congrats, and of course, we will expect a full book report within two days of receipt......:lol:

• Members

So the MB wasn't cutting it? Kinda surprised and saddened. Not enough power? odd EQ curve? What was the deal?

just not enough horsepower i guess? dunno. i wasn't running it all that hard, and it went into shutdown on me. i can't imagine what it'd be like at gig levels.

i was running it with my singer's passive ibanez bass, feeding it into my schroeder 1212L also.

i put up a message on TB about it, since several GK employess hang out over there. later, i got a PM from one of them "when running this combo with an extension cab, we recommend engaging the limiter".

not a good answer, IMO. if it's designed to push an extension, it should be able to do it without shutting down. i was nowhere near diming it.

it sounds great, truly. and the weight is awesome. but it's definitely not a big gig rig. small to medium gigs, it'd be fine. but i couldn't even keep up in practice without shutdown.

• Members

Lollerskates :)

I really don't get the HD750 dude. It's super heavy and overpriced, and not to mention kinda outdated. If you won't use the onboard FX, it's even more pointless. It sounds good I guess but pretty vanilla to me.

Do you just have brand-try-itis? What are you looking to get out of this amp that you haven't yet?

• Members

Lollerskates
:)

I really don't get the HD750 dude. It's super heavy and overpriced, and not to mention kinda outdated. If you won't use the onboard FX, it's even more pointless. It sounds good I guess but pretty vanilla to me.

Do you just have brand-try-itis? What are you looking to get out of this amp that you haven't yet?

it's 750 watts for 500 bucks. that's not "overpriced" in my book it does amp modeling (which i will use). i won't use the onboard effects because i don't use those particular effects. i was looking for a reasonably priced head that would work for my gigging needs. it's not much heavier than similarly priced, similarly spec'ed heads. i was intriuged by the concept, and i figure for the price i can experiment with it.

and yes, i've got serious brand-try-itis. :D just plain serious flip-it-itis really. in the course of about 5 years, i went through literally somewhere around 40 basses (enough that i can't recall them all), and at least 15 different rig configurations. what's your point? i've come to full terms with my gear whoring. within some pretty broad limits, i fully intend to try pretty much everything out there. over time, i'll go back and re-acquire stuff that i really liked. my warwick, for instance. :)

Archived