WOT: Droid phone or Windows?

Brother Mango

• Members

Just loaded EasyTether on my PC so I can run PC -> USB -> Droid -> 3G network -> Interwebs. Now I can climb up in a tree and commune with nature (look at pron) w/o having to be in range of my wireless network. BTW, I'm posting from my laptop thru my Droid right now! :D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love it so far, but with one exception. I learned that android phones are limited opening attachments in emails that are sent through exchange servers, like corporate emails. I couldn't figure out how to view .pdf's. The phone does it, the viewers work, but there's something linked to exchange that prevents it. Lots of reports out there of the same thing. I was able to simply select auto-forwarding on my main email account to forward to my new gmail account, and then I'm able to open up all attachments with no problems since it's no longer coming from an exchange server. I have read this should be addressed in the future, as well as multi touch and flash. Still, I'm impressed, and it's a huuuuuuuuge improvement over the old Voyager I had. My iphone copilot is jealous of the bigger screen too. :D

• Members

Just loaded EasyTether on my PC so I can run PC -> USB -> Droid -> 3G network -> Interwebs. Now I can climb up in a tree and commune with nature (look at pron) w/o having to be in range of my wireless network. BTW, I'm posting from my laptop
thru
my Droid right now!
:D

My Nokia E71 will do that without installing anything on a Windows box through Bluetooth or USB. I built a Debian box by using the phone to connect to the internet through USB. I've clocked 3.6Mb/sec through this phone. :thu::cool:

• Members

Just loaded EasyTether on my PC so I can run PC -> USB -> Droid -> 3G network -> Interwebs. Now I can climb up in a tree and commune with nature (look at pron) w/o having to be in range of my wireless network. BTW, I'm posting from my laptop
thru
my Droid right now!
:D

Me too, 'cept I'm using PDAnet instead of EasyTether. I can do blutooth on mine. :)

• Members

For the OP - Given the options, I'd go with Android. Probably the Nexus One, right now, or one of the upcoming HTC phones.

I've had 2 coworkers with nexus ones (one traded his to another coworker for her iPhone 3GS). I have 4 coworkers with Driods who seem happy.One coworker with a Palm Pre who loves it. One coworker has a winmo 6.5 phone and hates it, and most of the rest have iPhones with a couple Blackberrys, LG's (mine) and various dumbphones in the mix.

Having tried all of them (save for the dumbphones), if you want a simple and intelligent user experience with tons of apps to counteract your boredom, get an iPhone. If you want an OS that you can trick out with every bell and whistle you can think of, get an Android phone (the Nexus One is the best, followed by the Droid, for now). If you want a fun OS that will let you tinker a bit, but still be reliable and stable, go for a Palm Pre or Pre+ (or a WinPho 7 phone, when those come out later this year).

If you want a cheap bill, get a dumbphone like my LG. Then you'll be able to drool over all of the options until your contract is up.

• Members

Me too, 'cept I'm using PDAnet instead of EasyTether. I can do blutooth on mine.
:)

Doesn't PDAnet actually cost real american greenbacks? :eek: I only do free apps! :mad:

Actually, easytether claims to be updating to a bluetooth option soon.

Archived