Dog

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

Thought I was ready for one, so we adopted, both of us cannot handle it with our schedules/lifestyles, plus I really don't think we were ready for it (looking back, we were not). Called the lady on Wed. to tell her that we could not care for it for much longer. The rescue we adopted her from gives a 2 week return process if things don't work out, and this was 2 days into it, its now 7 days into it.

When we had looked at her, the lady adopted her to us within 20 minutes, barely any questions or concerns, just a disclaimer on a few things, when she was spayed, a bit of a background of her (truly sad background), and sent us on our way. Almost seems like she pawned her off on us. We were expecting a day waiting period to get over the cute factor and actually think about it (which we apparently did not do, I will admit)

"We took away her only chance to be adopted, and we don't want to help her out," is what we were told today on the phone. (I thought this was very dick of her to say)

I feel like a horrible human being now more than ever.

Am I wrong? Am I stupid? an asshole?

(sorry I am not dealing with this too well, I am very torn up inside about it)

• Members

The adoption lady sounds like a bit of an @ss.

Keep the dog until you can find her a new home. Are there any dog rescue agencies, animal shelters, private organizations in your area who could take her?

We are trying, but it is difficult.

There are tons of rescues and shelters, this rescue that we got her from requests that people return the dogs to them rather than giving it away, so thats what we are trying to do. The whole 2 week "return period" is not being lived up to it seems.

We have been "foster parents" for the dog since wednesday, but the lady has not posted an add for her, nor has she accepted any photos that we have sent her for the add. My bros wife works at a pet store company, and they have an adoption network, but she has not been able to post the dog there (she had important deadlines)

One positive that came out of this, the pressure for children has been lessened to a threat level of Yellow :lol::facepalm:

• Members

"We took away her only chance to be adopted, and we don't want to help her out," is what we were told today on the phone. (I thought this was very dick of her to say)

I feel like a horrible human being now more than ever.

Am I wrong? Am I stupid? an asshole?

(sorry I am not dealing with this too well, I am very torn up inside about it)

as a former dog trainer this really pisses me off.

first of all NO, you are not wrong, stupid, or an asshole.

judging from your post you are a mature and responsible person who made a somewhat hasty decision and is trying to do the right thing. an asshole would keep the dog and just not bother with giving it the proper mount of attention and training.

the woman you're dealing with is a {censored}. she should have spent more time with you to discuss what you were getting into and making sure you had the proper resources. that {censored}-up is on her. the guilt trip angle she's throwing out is inexcuseable from someone in her position and it literally infuriates me. to suggest that you were the dogs "only chance to be adopted" is insane

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Members

Temporarily adapt your schedule to make the needed accommodations to get the dog to a new loving home. It's a good learning lesson for you, the dog will be fine and the adoption lady can go {censored} herself.

Thanks guys. I definitely learned my lesson on this one, and I think it applies to more than just dog ownership. I do feel it was a hasty decision. I'm sure she will be fine, it will be a sad departure for sure, but she will be better off under someone else's care.

and yes the lady is a bitch

• Members

Dog ownership: 14 years after. I was sure I had to give my dog back after a few months. They did not reply to my request. I'm glad now. It's hard to relate all of the lessons I've learned from that dear beast. If you listen you will learn.

• Moderators

Dog ownership: 14 years after. I was sure I had to give my dog back after a few months. They did not reply to my request. I'm glad now. It's hard to relate all of the lessons I've learned from that dear beast. If you listen you will learn.

While all true, SDM may be listening better than ever and learning, "this is not what I need in my life at this moment." That's a huge lesson and worth all the trouble to get it right

• Members

We adopted Harley from Project Pooch in 2002. He was an utter disaster for the first few months---constant chewing, separation anxiety, eating whole loaves of bread, cell phones, purses---anything he could get his choppers on.

We were on the verge of taking him back when we got the bright idea. We put an old dog travel crate in the downstairs spare room, filled it with old blankets, and made that Harley's Happy Place.

When we're both out of the house we just say 'Harley, go to your house' and he hops right in, happy as a clam. We leave him shut in with food and water, and havent had a problem since.

• Members

We had to take our last dog acquisition back because he and our current dog did not get along. We felt bad, but we're coping. I just figure that the dog had a vacation from the shelter. Conversly, the animal shelter didn't have to feed and clean up after him for a week. Also, we told them to keep all of the adoption fee, so they ended up with a nice donation. It's a win all around.

• Members

i want a dog. :(

my children, however, are scared {censored}less of dogs. my son because we used to live next door to a house full of assholes and their asshole dog. my daughter because nearly every dog she's ever met has been bigger than her.

some day, though, we might get another dog. right now, it's more important for my children not to live in constant fear.

• Members

Smell the terror!

IMG_4931.jpg

:eek:

If I knew you had a Yorkie, I'd have never fantisized daily for the past 3 years about sleeping with you! :(

;)

Terriers HATE me, btw. A friend of mine's mom used to have one that went absolutely ape-{censored} whenever I came over. I'm about as non-threatening as a person can get, I feel. Still, he acted like a total jackass around me. :idk: Goodness, that dog made me want to do hateful things, he was so obnoxious around me.

Most other Terriers have not been much better around me, for whatever reason.

• Members

Super Donut Man, you have to do what's right for the dog. If you guys are unable to do what's best for him, then take him back. It's a tough lump to swallow, but it sounds like you're facing it. I'm really sorry to hear it. Raising a puppy is tough work. We're having a "come-to-Jesus" with our puppy and ourselves, presently, and it's not a great place. I feel for you, man.

• Members

We were on the verge of taking him back when we got the bright idea. We put an old dog travel crate in the downstairs spare room, filled it with old blankets, and made that Harley's Happy Place.

When we're both out of the house we just say 'Harley, go to your house' and he hops right in, happy as a clam. We leave him shut in with food and water, and havent had a problem since.

Its like my brothers dog, loves that damn crate, and loves to eat what she pleases. Butters (the dog of this subject) is pretty good, doesn't chew anything, doesn't piss all over the place (she's not fully trained fully yet) just in the corner or rug. A bit weary of the crate at this moment, but she is allowed to wander the house whilst we are gone, as she has not ruined anything yet.

We have made changes to accommodate her for now, as to be humane, but they are not working out with work and our lives in any long term period.

• Members

We had to take our last dog acquisition back because he and our current dog did not get along. We felt bad, but we're coping. I just figure that the dog had a vacation from the shelter. Conversly, the animal shelter didn't have to feed and clean up after him for a week. Also, we told them to keep all of the adoption fee, so they ended up with a nice donation. It's a win all around.

Thats a good way to look at it. If the lady wasn't the way she was to us, we would have probably let them keep the money, and give them the crate we have for her and other things that we have purchased.

Archived