Is it worth having a "normal" website....

B-Bottom

• Members

And not just a myspace page?

Personally I never go to a bands normal page. So I'm curious if I'm the only one

I do go to bands "normal" sites but usually end up at their myspace if the site is crappy/hard to navigate

• Members

I much prefer to never visit myspace if possible. If that's the only place I can find a band, I'm not going to be interested in the band. Give me a youtube channel and a simple website and I'm happy.

My thoughts exactly. I never go to myspace. Anyone can put up a page there advertising their band, but that alone would look amateur.

A real website, simple yet informative with stuff on youtube.

• Members

thing with myspace is that you have more chances of random exposure than you do with a website.

See that is what my thought is.

I guess I would have done better to ask this question to people who aren't in a band yet are into music.

• Members

Our old website had over 500 entries on the message board from people who had seen us. MySpace only allows MySpace members to participate in such, correct? People of my age group 50+ don't want the bother of signing up and the crap posted by so called friends. I'll take the regular website any day.

• Members

Depends on how big a band is. If you have a lot of information then a proper website is good. But sometimes it can be hard to get what you want.

For example - Regina Spektor's site is really nice and all, but if I just want to find tour dates I'd go to her myspace because they are all there on the first page.

If you are an small band - then what's the point in forking out for a site with not much traffic?

• Members

Depends on how big a band is. If you have a lot of information then a proper website is good. But sometimes it can be hard to get what you want.

For example - Regina Spektor's site is really nice and all, but if I just want to find tour dates I'd go to her myspace because they are all there on the first page.

If you are an small band - then what's the point in forking out for a site with not much traffic?

Yeap, you said it.

• Members

It's amazing how even many large bands have their own domain reroute to their myspace page.

I often prefer a band's own site, but more often than not if I'm wanting to take a listen to some actual music I'm sent to myspace anyway.

If you want to save money, go myspace. If you want to put a bunch of other info online and do your own thing, get your own site going as well.

• Members

Domains are cheap, in my opinion, and are renewed once a year.

You will also need hosting, which is also renewed yearly and is pretty inexpensive.

The priciest part, unless you can do it yourself, is the website design. The cost for that can be all over the place. I'm a graphic designer and I've seen every price under the sun being quoted by companies for website design.

• Members

how much do you have to pay for the domain, in average?

For me a domain costs $10/year. Hosting is $95/year, but I don't really figure that into the cost of my band sites because I need hosting for my personal site, so I have that anyways.

Archived