Do you perform without warming up first?

e021708

• Members

I chose "always" but I suppose I need to qualify that.

Leilani and I both have what we call "first set songs". Out of the 500 or so songs that we do in our duo The Sophisticats, over half of them can be sung in the first set and about half of them can not. No songs at the extreme top of the range until the voice is warmed up.

Fortunately in the yacht club/country club/private club gigs that we do, we usually play a mellow dinner or cocktail set before getting to the high energy dance music, so the first hour warms us up on non extreme range or extreme volume songs.

But there is no time to warm up. We are our own rodies, and sound engineers, so we schepp the gear, set up, do a sound check, and then play. Plus we do one-nighters, so that is done at least twice a week, and in "the season" sometimes up to 15 days straight.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Most times I work my voice in the car on the way to the gig. If I don't it always ends up that I do something growly earlier in the show and it trashes the easy mellow stuff later. If I have worked it before I have much more control to do whatever I want during the gig rather than being stuck with an “easy to a bit more boisterous) list of tunes. I don't follow a set list of tunes but try to respond more to the audience.

Archived