Truck Shopping - is this a scam?

BottomHeavyKate

• Members

Guy seems legit.....he listed his truck on Craigslist - great price. I have the $$$....

I emailed him - this was his reply.....

"Hello there,

The car is still available.2005 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 (Mileage : 47.500) Engine 5.4L V8 FI SOHC,Ext color:Black / Int color:Tan,Transmission: Automatic,Leather seats,Power seats,CD player,Tow Package,Keyless Entry System andmuch more.The car is paid off and has a clear title, no lien, never been in an accident.

The vehicle is located in Helena, MT and my wife will be taking care of the shipping and it will be delivered within 3-5 days, depending on your location.Also i can ship you the vehicle for free anywhere in USA.I am a Sergent in the US army and my battalion has been transferred to United Kingdom for a 11 months experience change program. I am selling the vehicle because I just don't want it to get old in my garage. My wife hasn't got a driving licence so the truck must go.

Full price is $3.900, shipping included, and all the documents will be provided along with it.We will use eBay to secure our deal because it protects both buyer and seller. You send the money to ebay and they hold the payment until the vehicle arrives. You have 7 days to inspect it and I get the money after you make sure everything is ok and decide to keep it. If you don't like the vehicle and want to return it, I will pay the return shipping and you will be 100% refunded by ebay.

Giving the nature of this transaction please note that my sale terms are final and nonnegotiable. In order to move forward I will need your full name, address and phone number so i can register the deal at eBay.After that eBay will send you the payment instruction.

Thank you,

P.S. With no disrespect, please consider taking a loan before proceeding, if you don't have the available funds for the vehicle."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't buy from Ebay so I wasn't sure
:(

If it is a scam - what is the best way to screw with him?

For one, the government will pay for shipping of a servicemans vehicle anywhere when they are transferred overseas. They must have an established residence where they plan on shipping it. Scam from square one.

• Moderators

Kelly Blue Book is about $10K.

Anyone could take this truck into a dealer and get $6-7K for it in five minutes, why on Earth would they want to go through all these hoops to sell it for $4K?

So you're saying it's a good deal. I'm in!

• Members

Thank you,

P.S. With no disrespect, please consider taking a loan before proceeding, if you don't have the available funds for the vehicle."

Please consider taking a loan? Have you ever heard a seller say something like that?

Run away!

• Members

I don't buy from Ebay so I wasn't sure
:(

If it is a scam - what is the best way to screw with him?

Say you know someone in Helena that is going to inspect it for you.

Send him bogus info.

Ask if he'll repaint it some other color.

Tell him you would like to pay in naira (Nigerian money)

Ask if he'll ship to Indonesia.

• Members

TOTAL SCAM KATE. Don't do it. it costs close to a grand to ship a vehicle anywhere. That truck will wholesale for closer to $5500. Plus, if he was a "sergent" in the US army, you would think he would have learned to spell it. :)

• Members

Say you know someone in Helena that is going to inspect it for you.

Send him bogus info.

Ask if he'll repaint it some other color.

Tell him you would like to pay in naira (Nigerian money)

Ask if he'll ship to Indonesia.

Those are fantastic!

:lol:

Could also go the route of offering more than money than asked ala the Nigerian scams.

Maybe there are some ideas on that "Emails from an Asshole" site. Or just forward the thing to him, maybe it will get the royal treatment.

• Moderators

OUTTA DA WAY KINDNESS!!!! IT'S ALL MINE!
:cop:

Sorry, beat you to it. To secure the truck I gave him my name, address, date of birth, social security number, mother's maiden name, check card number with pin to make sure he could access the funds immediately...

• Members

I had an ex-girlfriend try to sell her Infiniti G35 and the 419 scammers got into her. We warned her and played games with the scammers. it was pretty fun.

Keep us posted on what all weird things you can get him to do...

Ask for a photo of a specific part. Say "I heard the door handles are bad about breaking on this year model" and see if he will send you a pic of the handles, in the same color, on the same year model truck... (I have a 2005 F150, BTW!!) :thu:

• Members

I had an ex-girlfriend try to sell her Infiniti G35 and the 419 scammers got into her. We warned her and played games with the scammers. it was pretty fun.

Keep us posted on what all weird things you can get him to do...

Ask for a photo of a specific part. Say "I heard the door handles are bad about breaking on this year model" and see if he will send you a pic of the handles, in the same color, on the same year model truck... (I have a 2005 F150, BTW!!)
:thu:

I have been lusting after the FX4 line for months now. I'm 6' tall so my little Cobalt just ain't cutting it....

Archived