Expand my mind...

mlwarriner

• Members

Right now I'm reading "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot" by John Callahan.

Amazing, he takes a total tragic situation and makes it into a laughingstock. And really, the story is mind opening, sad, funny and a lot of comedy. I love it.

Editorial Reviews: "When people laugh like hell and then say, 'That's not funny', you can be pretty sure they're talking about John Callahan."

-- P.J.,O'Rourke, author of Holidays in Hell

"Actually Callahan goes too far, and he'll take you with him.... He'll move muscles you don't know you have." -- Roy Blount, Jr.

"John Callahan doesn't need feet to go far. He does it with guts, brains, fingers, and a wonderful sick sense of humor." -- Review

"When people laugh like hell and then say, 'That's not funny', you can be pretty sure they're talking about John Callahan."

-- P.J.,O'Rourke, author of Holidays in Hell

"Actually Callahan goes too far, and he'll take you with him.... He'll move muscles you don't know you have." -- Roy Blount, Jr.

"John Callahan doesn't need feet to go far. He does it with guts, brains, fingers, and a wonderful sick sense of humor."

Callahan, whose quirky and irreverent cartoons attract a national following, describes his life as a quadriplegic with mordant, relentless and utterly unsentimental humor. Even before the accident that left him paralyzed, Callahan was on a self-destructive trajectory. An adolescent alcoholic, a youth in rebellion against authority, including his adoptive parents and his church, the author had his life forever changed when at age 21 he became a quadriplegic. In the course of his long rehabilitation and his continuing struggles with alcoholism, his endurance was bolstered by self-directed humor. As his sense of himself reemerged, Callahan undertook a search for his birth mother and now enjoys a healing of the break with his adoptive parents and siblings. The 60 of his cartoons reproduced here illustrate his life in Portland, Ore., where he has "twice the drive of the average able-bodied person." First serial to Mother Jones.

• Members

bored with fiction. thinking about getting the basketball diaries. dunno...

was pondering some hunter s. thompson or???

read my above suggestion. Next on my list is "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. Both I've suggested are autobiographies. True stuff.

• Members

bored with fiction. thinking about getting the basketball diaries. dunno...

was pondering some hunter s. thompson or???

Can't go wrong with some HST.. 'Vegas', 'Hell's angels', 'kingdom of fear'.. hell, you can't really go all that wrong with any of his stuff..

I recently reread (for the 4th time) the entire catalogue of the Japanese author Haruki Murakami, his stuff is pretty weird, slightly twisted but mellow and interesting. He's been described as a Japanese Kafka.. I like 'The windup bird chronicles' the best, but they are all great, nice thing is after reading them all.. the characters and locations start to overlap and in your mind just become this one huge twisted story!

518DCVESNQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

non fiction wise..

41BX9pA4yXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone" is really good, shows how stupid government red tape and corruption effect the average guy on the ground. (yes it was turned into that godawful Matt Damon movie, really they have nothing in common though).

51iHYlCFQdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

"The Cat from Hue: A Vietnam War Story" is exceptional.. a Journalists diary of his time there.

as is

41tmo4oPPzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Dispatches" by Michael Herr (I've read an awful lot of journalist books about the Vietnam war!)

• Members

Pulp sci fi/fantasy in the kind of Roger Zelazny and Fritz Leiber are my favorite reading materials lately. The "new wave" or whatever it's called. Philip Jose Farmer is not so good for the writing but interesting stories. Conan stuff was super fun too.

• Members

Really want to expand your mind?

Get Huxley's Brave New World.

Get a couple hits of acid.

Do 'em, and start reading.

i need some new {censored} to read. i'm tired of the crap i've got laying around the house.

so...what're you reading? why should i read it?

Archived