5 String Fretless Bass

Count Dissident

• Members

+1 on the Musicman & G&L.

I have a fretless L2500 and love it.

You might be able to find a Pentabuzz for around $1200 if you are really patient. I've seen it go for around that price once or twice, but they do generally go for a little bit more. If you see it, act fast, because they usually get snatched up pretty quick in that range.

• Members

Like this thread!

As I'm downsizing and moving exclusively to fivers, I will ultimately be in the market for a fretless five.

FWIW, I ordered my first and only fretless five exactly the same bass and neck as my favorite fretted five, and I know for a fact that helped with the learning curve. If you can, look for a fretless version of your easiest playing bass. It helps a lot!

• Members

A used fretless SR5 would indeed be killer. I just got this guy used for $400 though:

Gearpics3_21_10057.jpg

+1 great bass. just sold both of mine.

:(

I have a Black on black Ken Smith designs I have for sale now 5 fretless, Proto J. I like it a lot. DSC_0485-1.jpg

DSC_0486-1.jpg

DSC_0482-1.jpg

I also have a Warwick Streamer 5 fretless that I like a lot!

DSC_2018.jpg

DSC_2016.jpg

• Members

What is it with all the fretlines? I thought the more expensive, well built basses usually embraced the classier look.

I didn't even know Warwick made fretlesses with lines unless they were special order or something. My corvette's fingerboard is as naked as a jaybird, while my cheaper 5 string yammie is lined.

• Members

What is it with all the fretlines? I thought the more expensive, well built basses usually embraced the classier look.

I didn't even know Warwick made fretlesses with lines unless they were special order or something. My corvette's fingerboard is as naked as a jaybird, while my cheaper 5 string yammie is lined.

Yeah see BDA's response- my first fretless Q5 had lines and an extremely gorgeous quilted maple top.

My 2nd was just a plain bright burgandy stain and was unlined.

• Members

"Classier" is in the eye of the beholder. I like the way unlined looks, but I'm glad mine has lines. It's easier to get a visual reference point with lines, and it's less fatiguing for me to play mentally, if that makes sense.

The Gary Willis is lined, and Gary himself is an advocate of lines.

• Members

Thanks again for all of the responses...it is appreciated!!

I did find the Dean Edge Fretless 5 String for $400 and it does not have fret lines. Anyone have any info on this bass? I am sure it lacks in quality compared to the other basses mentioned here but I thought I would ask about it.

Also,I was looking into the Lightwave basses but I can't find much info on these...anyone know anything about them?

Two other basses I have looked at are the Conklin GT-5 and the Schecter Stiletto 5. How do these compare?

-Count

Archived