Anyone Ever Been To Virginia?

sub5ound

• Members

Ashland is a small town, but pretty cool in that it is near Richmond, has a college and its own little eclectic population. Oh, and the railroad runs right down the middle of it. There are several restaurants right on the tracks that have live music and there's even an open mic nite at the Iron Horse Restaurant on Tuesdays beginning at 8:30. Linky

I'm not sure if there are any surviving music stores there any more, but a few miles up the road in Richmond there is GC, Sam Ash, and across the James River on the "Southside" there is a nice store called Richmond Music that has a nice collection of stuff and is also the only Genz Benz dealer in town. Metro Music on Broad St. downtown is an eclectic place to visit with gobs of strange vintage instruments lining the upper walls. If you have a nice day to spend out, I highly recommend visiting Belle Island in the James River Park. Great place to see civil war ruins and hop rocks on the river. Hollywood Cemetary overlooks the river and Belle Isle and is also a really nice walkaround spot. There is Maymont Park a bit west of there and also up against the river with grassy rolling hills, a petting zoo, and an early 1800's mansion on the grounds.

It doesn't have to be a bleak trip by any means... :)

• Members

I'm definitely gonna look into visiting/touring some Civil War battlefields. I've been wanting to do that since I saw Glory when I was 15! Also, I might have to grace that open mic with my presence...they are in for it.

Archived