Opinions... Peavey Classic 400?

zachoff

• Members

I have a chance to pick one up & I'm thinking it's something that could cure my amp GAS for volume and tone to compete w/ my guitarist's V4... Is $550 a good price? I know they're heavy as hell, but I don't really care about that as much as I do the tone. Anyone own or used to own one & can tell me about the toanz?

• Members

I believe Dark Slide owns, or used to own one.

I saw one at a local music store about a year or so ago. If he didn't want so much for is I would have picked it up. That thing could destroy any guitard rig known to man.

If I come across one that is a decent price I won't hesitate to pick it up. I will say that the Classic 400 is the biggest amp that i have ever seen.....which makes it all the more cooler

• Members

I loved mine... wish I had the need for THAT much brute force.

Make sure your cabinets are hearty... I blew an El Whappo on my first gig with them matched up (a 1210 + 1212 handled it fine, but just wasn't 'felt' enough). I ended up setting it on a Peavey 1820 cab with pretty rude (in a nice way) results.

the classic400.com domain went away, but I never took down the files... here is the site http://www.hartsafire.com/classic400/

• Members

I love mine, but I have no use for that much power right now.

I got it for a ridiculous steal, it ended up needing a new circuit board as the traces had lifted off the factory one. Apparently this was a documented problem, as the replacement boards are easily available, so it was a cheap fix for a local amp guy.

He also did "a few tweaks" on it, and right now it's pushing out about 475 watts. So, yeah, it's loud.

• Members

i had one for a few years. i sold it a year ago for $650, which is what i paid for it. i bought it from the musician's friend b-stock discovery sale of 2005 in a fit of post-peavey nostalgia. (i had just left the company and moved up to michigan when these went on sale.)

i liked it quite a bit, but i could not ever justify gigging with it. it was stupid heavy and i have a pre/power that sounds just as good. then i found an ampeg V4 for way the right price, and it made a ton of sense to unload the C400. also, the nostalgia had faded about then, too.

i'd buy it for $550, even out of curiosity. that's a price at which you should be able to make a profit if you decide to sell it. i think it took me about a week to sell mine at $650, and i live in metro detroit. i sold it a year ago, so the economy was at its worst then.

robb.

• Members

It's the "Michael Clarke Duncan surprise buttsecks" of bass amps.

:lol:

Thanks for the info, guys... Emailed the dude & am hoping to look at it early next week. Then I need to build my cab... I fear the Bassman cab will blow up if I plug the Peavey into it.

• Members

:lol:

Thanks for the info, guys... Emailed the dude & am hoping to look at it early next week. Then I need to build my cab... I fear the Bassman cab will blow up if I plug the Peavey into it.

It really deserves a PV 412 TVX. I JUST missed one a few weeks ago. Wear a diaper when you first give it a run. You'll thank me later.

Archived