Battery Compartment Question

venturawest

• Members

Kids,

Got a question for you. My Spector battery gave out - literally minutes before our first set started - and I had to take off the back plate (6 screws), and replace the battery. In the process of replacing it, the clip that fits on the battery broke in half. It still works, but I can't get the battery off easily and I was afraid of breaking it, so I left it in place so I could get through the gig. Changing battery time = 10 minutes with unscrewing face plate, battery change, replacing face plate.

So today I took it in to my tech for replacement of that battery clip. I mentioned how nice it would be to have a battery drop in compartment like I have on my Stingray 5, and he said they could add one for about $80. The problem is, it has to be drilled into the body of the instrument separate from where the current face plate is.

I have a 1990 Spector NS series, and I'm not crazy about carving out a chunk of the body wood for a battery compartment. Is there another way to install something that doesn't involve modifying the body of the instrument in such a way? Or should I leave it as is, and just use a battery tester to check the battery before each gig?

Thoughts?

• Members

I would either get an electric screwdriver for the cover to speed up the time, or spend the 80 bucks. My Cort will still work with a dead battery because the preamp is active, the pups are passive. I like that odd electronic setup. I only have to remove 2 screws to change batteries, though.

• Members

I've had that happen before during mid-set, but that was years 'n years ago and so now on rule, I replace the batt's in my basses every 6 mo's, no matter how much or little I've used 'em.

Which reminds me I need to do that soon...

What 90's NS do you have? I could live with myself doing it on an import or Czech/Euro model, but not on anything US, especially at that date stamp. They're gettin' extremely difficult to find in original kit nowadays.

I will say tho now that I think about it- my '96 SSD NS5 has that separate battery compartment, but I think that was how they were made at the time. Unless Rex had his tech make him one but I've looked at it, and it looks factory-done.

• Members

It's a 1990 NS 4-string. Love it to death and wouldn't replace it except for another Spector, since it feels so ridiculously good in my hands. I would have been fine with adding a compartment onto the back face plate, but not if it involves carving out a whole chunk of the body. I normally change out every 6 months, but this caught me completely off guard, until I realised that the last time I changed it I had some cheapass brand of generic 9v. :facepalm:

• Members

It's a 1990 NS 4-string. Love it to death and wouldn't replace it except for another Spector, since it feels so ridiculously good in my hands. I would have been fine with adding a compartment onto the back face plate, but not if it involves carving out a whole chunk of the body. I normally change out every 6 months, but this caught me completely off guard, until I realised that the last time I changed it I had some cheapass brand of generic 9v.
:facepalm:

Wow bro I didn't know you had that major of hardware over there! :wave::thu:

That's gonna either be an extremely late-run Neptune Kramer NS2 or a very early Woodstock SSD NS2.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't rout that bass just for 1 9V battery. Just be careful and rock those Duracells! ;)

What finish is that bad boy?

• Members

I wouldn't do it, on the off chance that it changes the sound of the bass (granted, very unlikely but irreversible).

Rig one of these to the outside:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Battery_clips_and_holders/L_R_Baggs_Battery_Bag.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=4846

Might look a bit weird, but no weirder than BOALG's mom riding shotgun.

• Members

It's a rare instrument that I've owned and haven't modified. While putting a new battery compartment in might change the resale value a little, it doesn't change the instrument's value to the user and would make it easier to live with.

• Members

There is nothing better than a quick change battery box. Not just for gig changes, but for never having to ever unscrew anything and change a battery in about two seconds tops. Routing out a battery compartment will not change the sound of your bass at all, and is practically standard procedure for current bass builders. There's no shortage of high end makers that route in battery boxes. Another option could be, if there's room I've seen some battery boxes in the actual rear cover plate instead of routed into the body seperately. They cut a hole in the cover plate and screw the box into that, as long as there's enough room for it inside the control cavity. Then you have all the goodness of a quick change box without routing the bass. Personally I'd have one routed in and not even think twice about it. I even had one routed into my Steinie Spirit. Works so well I can't even think how this could even be a question.;)

• Members

There is nothing better than a quick change battery box. Not just for gig changes, but for never having to ever unscrew anything and change a battery in about two seconds tops. Routing out a battery compartment will not change the sound of your bass at all, and is practically standard procedure for current bass builders. There's no shortage of high end makers that route in battery boxes. Another option could be, if there's room I've seen some battery boxes in the actual rear cover plate instead of routed into the body seperately. They cut a hole in the cover plate and screw the box into that, as long as there's enough room for it inside the control cavity. Then you have all the goodness of a quick change box without routing the bass. Personally I'd have one routed in and not even think twice about it.
I even had one routed into my Steinie Spirit.
Works so well I can't even think how this could even be a question.
;)

'90 Neptune NS2 /=/ Steinie Spirt.

Brough.

:cop::cop:;);)

• Members

'90 Neptune NS2 /=/ Steinie Spirt.

Brough.

:cop:
;)
;)

Uh, did I say it was? Point being, a battery box rout is nothing to a bass. The convienence is so totally worth it it doesn't matter what the bass is, it's better with a box than without.

• Members

Uh, did I say it was? Point being, a battery box rout is nothing to a bass. The convienence is so totally worth it it doesn't matter what the bass is, it's better with a box than without.

Except in 20 years when that bass is beyond friggin' collectible and impossible to find in original kit it's not... :cop::cop: No way I'd do that on my '85.

• Members

Except in 20 years when that bass is beyond friggin' collectible and impossible to find in original kit it's not...
:cop: No way I'd do that on my '85.

I would, in a New York second. Waiting 20 years for a bass to gain a few hundred, maybe a thousand+ bucks doesn't seem like it's worth 20 years of pain in the ass battery changes.;)

• Members

You could also cut a new back plate with a spot for installing a battery box. This would let you easily return your bass to original condition. :thu:

If I need to modify something such as an instrument, amplifier, car, whatever; if possible, I like to do it in a way than can be neatly undone. Too many times I've found a PO's brilliant idea wasn't.

• Members

You could also cut a new back plate with a spot for installing a battery box. This would let you easily return your bass to original condition.
:thu:

If I need to modify something such as an instrument, amplifier, car, whatever; if possible, I like to do it in a way than can be neatly undone. Too many times I've found a PO's brilliant idea wasn't.

I'd bet there won't be enough room in the control cavity. Most manufacturers don't give you any room to spare in there.

Archived