There is no substitute for volume.

coyote-1

• Members

On Tuesday night, my trio got together for a session. The bassist plays thru my amp stack, using a Sansamp as a preamp. We feed it into the PA. This time he turned the amps up louder than usual, by a significant amount.

It sounded phenomenal.

Pete Townshend has done interviews where he talks about it - how when Entwistle's bass was at a certain volume it filled not only the sonic space but the harmonic space too. We experienced that, and dug it. I can't wait to hear it again next session, even though we fried a monitor wedge :lol:

• Members

Cool. But chew on this, perception-wise, the only thing we humans really perceive is change. I don't know what genre of music you guys are playing, but don't underestimate the importance of dynamics.

If you alternately listen to 2 stereos the louder one will usually sound better (unless there is a HUGE discrepancy in sound quality). This is a well known psychophysical phenomenon. What's my point? Simply that if you are playing that loud all night and you never play soft passages, after a while people won't notice those added harmonics (or whatever it was you got when you upped the volume) because as their ears adapt to the loud level, their sensitivity to nuances in the sound decreases. BUT if the music is cycling volume-wise, then every time you get back up to that loud point your audience will experience a treat! It would be nice if people could sustain harmonic nuance sensitivity... but we can't.

• Members

Funny you should mention it... after doing some Cream and some Who and a few original things, we did drop the volume. Played Long Distance Runaround, then segued into the Real Book and did Girl from Ipanema and Goodbye Porkpie Hat before cranking it again for Led Boots.

Yeah, we like dynamics. :)

Cool. But chew on this, perception-wise, the only thing we humans really perceive is change. I don't know what genre of music you guys are playing, but don't underestimate the importance of dynamics.

If you alternately listen to 2 stereos the louder one will usually sound better (unless there is a HUGE discrepancy in sound quality). This is a well known psychophysical phenomenon. What's my point? Simply that if you are playing that loud all night and you never play soft passages, after a while people won't notice those added harmonics (or whatever it was you got when you upped the volume) because as their ears adapt to the loud level, their sensitivity to nuances in the sound decreases. BUT if the music is cycling volume-wise, then every time you get back up to that loud point your audience will experience a treat! It would be nice if people could sustain harmonic nuance sensitivity... but we can't.

Archived