Suggest a decent bass and amp for a starter

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I've played guitar for several years, I started learning on the electric. For the past few years I've played acoustic (mostly fingerstyle), and haven't looked back. I still like rock music, and while I'm not really interested in going back to electric, I'm finding the idea of playing bass pretty interesting.

What I'm looking for a decent bass and amp that I could learn on to see if bass is really for me or not. The genres I'm interested in for bass are classic rock, hard rock, and maybe metal. Thanks.

• Members

I suggest going to any local music shop and picking up a cheap used bass. That way you can try them out before you make a decision.

eBay is another option.

If you're going to buy new though, Ibanez makes decent starter basses for pretty cheap.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524

• Members

I already said the types of music I'm interested in, I said its just for learning (so meaning no venues), my location says Iowa (that's in the U.S. by the way), and I didn't say budget because its not a concern. So what was your point in posting that link?

• Members

I already said the types of music I'm interested in, I said its just for learning (so meaning no venues), my location says Iowa (that's in the U.S. by the way), and I didn't say budget because its not a concern. So what was your point in posting that link?

Let's see:

1) to point out that there are at least 3-4 posts a week asking exactly the same thing that you did

2) to point out that you might want to take the time to peruse those posts instead of recycling the same {censored}

3) to point out the entire latter half of MY post, which makes the point that YOUR post is really an exercise in futility and stupidity. You will get no consensus.

And budget is ALWAYS a concern. If you want some $6,000 bass recommendations, we'll give you those. If you want $400 recommendations, we'll give you those.

• Members

Let's see:

1) to point out that there are at least 3-4 posts a week asking exactly the same thing that you did

2) to point out that you might want to take the time to peruse those posts instead of recycling the same {censored}

3) to point out the entire latter half of MY post, which makes the point that YOUR post is really an exercise in futility and stupidity. You will get no consensus.

And budget is ALWAYS a concern. If you want some $6,000 bass recommendations, we'll give you those. If you want $400 recommendations, we'll give you those.

:rolleyes:

• Members

I'd love to give some suggestions, but really, if you haven't tried any basses to give some suggestions as to what kind of sound and basses you're after, and without knowing how much money you're willing to spend, it's incredibly hard to suggest anything.

Music Man Stingray

G&L L2000

Squier & Fender P-basses

would be my suggestions to have an extra look at for now. They range from $200 to about $1500, and they are very suitable for the genres you mention (of course, they aren't the only one), but they each offer something unique the others don't.

As for amps: Combo or head + cab ?

Archived