Tuning a 4 string bass real low (Drop A#)

Giorgi

• Members

Hello guys,

I wanna buy a bass to record stuff, but I have a very limited budget. Basically, I'm buying a used 4 string bass which should amount to somewhere between 100-150$ (or Euros cos I live in Europe). Anyway, I was wondering:

My guitar is a 6 string tuned to A# (which is basically 2 tones lower than standard for every string except the lowest one, which is set to 3 tones lower. So the low E becomes A# and the high E is a C). Which means that I'd need to tune my bass the same way. The question is: is it viable on a 4 string bass? Do they have special strings for this type of thing, because the standard ones are probably gonna feel like spaghetti. Is it gonna sound decent?

My guitar sounds just fine this way, but maybe basses are different.

Thanks for your help!

• Members

No $150 bass is going to sound good that low. The electronics won't reproduce those frequencies.

If you're already tuning that low, do you really need a bass?

Yes you still need a bass.

Why do people that know nothing about detuning always show up in these threads? A# is only a semitone below the bottom string on a normal 5 string bass.

As other people have said, bigger gauge strings and just be careful about fitting them. You'll probably have to compress/overdrive the bass to get it to actually sit nicely but it should be fine. Stick mainly to the neck pickup to get as much of the fundamental tone as you can.

• Members

Yes you still need a bass.

Why do people that know nothing about detuning always show up in these threads? A# is only a semitone below the bottom string on a normal 5 string bass.

As other people have said, bigger gauge strings and just be careful about fitting them. You'll probably have to compress/overdrive the bass to get it to actually sit nicely but it should be fine. Stick mainly to the neck pickup to get as much of the fundamental tone as you can.

Dunno man - overtones will define the notes better. Relying on the neck pickup strictly will make it murky, and the fundamental won't even be presented by near-any rig.

Better to use the bridge pickup as well for definition and put the sound where the rig can use it. The second harmonic (first octave up) will sit well withing most rig's capacities anfd will carry better.

• Moderators

Get a stable 4-string bass, buy a set of bass strings from Circle K Strings (see Knucklehead's recommendations above) and get to it. :thu:

Which means that I'd need to tune my bass the same way.

This is just a personal pet peeve of mine, but I assume you mean you want to tune your bass the same way. There is no reason whatsoever the guitar tuning you indicate would necessitate a non-traditional bass tuning.

Archived