OT: Logo/Maker's Mark idea... thoughts?

bassthumpintwin

• Members

Hey guys... This is a bit off topic, but I want to get as many opinions as I can, so I figured I'd ask here.

I've recently started making some custom knives, and I need to design a maker's mark that I can "brand" the knife with when I'm done. I'm trying to keep it super simple, but at the same time I don't want it to be too abstract.

That being said.... can you guys tell what this is supposed to be?

5125593191_fd9303531a_m.jpg

• Members

Couldn't be easier to understand, but why do you want to brand your knives with the Down Under Communist Party logo ? Boomerang and sickle.
:D

:facepalm:

Edit: I like the cattlebrand interpretation.

:lol: bwahahah! I lol'd.....

I did originally wonder if people would see more of a sickle shape than an "R", but judging from the responses thus far, I think I'm ok.... ;)

Interestingly enough, I was originally going for more of a "cattle branding" look, although I wasn't trying to convey laziness... :D

• Members

I like the idea, but assuming it's AR, I think you want to make a bit more vertical.

I actually made several other drawings that were a bit more vertical, or slight variations from this, but for some reason, this one popped out the most... I MIGHT play with it a little bit more, but I'd really like to send something out soon for stencils.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys! This place must really be picking back up huh? Last time I was in here, it would have taken a couple days to get that many....:p

• Members

Several years ago, I went to a tobacco store in the Dupont Circle area of Washington, D.C.

I had driven from my home in Baltimore to the New Carrollton Metro station and took the train to Dupont Circle.

I went to the tobacco store and bought a few things, and on the way out of the store noticed a stack of the D.C. "City Paper" by the door. I picked one up to read on the train and noticed a stack of the "Washington Blade" sitting there as well. I thought it might be a publication of some local knifemaker's guild, and since my father had a hobby of making knives, picked one up for him to check out.

On the train, I first read the "City Paper', then picked up the "Blade" to give it a look.

To my surprise, that entire paper contained not one article about cutlery.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/

• Members

Several years ago, I went to a tobacco store in the Dupont Circle area of Washington, D.C.

I had driven from my home in Baltimore to the New Carrollton Metro station and took the train to Dupont Circle.

I went to the tobacco store and bought a few things, and on the way out of the store noticed a stack of the D.C. "City Paper" by the door. I picked one up to read on the train and noticed a stack of the "Washington Blade" sitting there as well. I thought it might be a publication of some local knifemaker's guild, and since my father had a hobby of making knives, picked one up for him to check out.

On the train, I first read the "City Paper', then picked up the "Blade" to give it a look.

To my surprise, that entire paper contained not one article about cutlery.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/

:facepalm::lol:

• Members

What kind of knives are you making, BTT? I'm looking for a nice custom breaking knife, as well as a skinning knife. What steels do you work in?

Right now I'm making mostly neck knives, though I did design a larger version of one of my necker designs for hunting/camping use. I'm planning on expanding my designs in the future, but I'd like to turn out about 15 or 20 knives in my current designs before I get too carried away with other stuff. I'm also nailing down this stencil design so I can mark my blades before I start selling them, but hopefully I'll have that ready to go in a couple weeks.

As far as steels, I'm only doing 1095 high carbon steel right now, as I think it's the best compromise between edge retention, cost, and ease of heat treating. I'd like to expand to some higher quality stainless steels in the future, but I need additional equipment that's a little out of my price range currently. I might try some tool steels too, but I think I'm gonna stick with 1095 for now.

I have yet to try putting any kind of wooden or synthetic handle material on a knife either, but that's definitely in the near future too. Right now I'm just cord wrapping them, or doing bare handles.

It could take me a little while, but I can definitely work on designing you a skinner in the very least, if you're not in a huge hurry. As for the breaking knife, I'm not sure about that yet. I'm fairly new to the knife making thing. ;)

http://www.musician-central.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3788&p=63874#p63874

I posted some pics of one of my knives in loki's forum. I also have a youtube channel with a few videos showing my work as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bassthumpintwion?feature=mhum

• Members

I saw AR too, but it looked a bit communist.

You know, it's funny... with my beard being as large as it is, when I where a cadet cap, a lot of people say I look like Fidel.

I remember walking into a cuban restaurant with my wife one day in Miami, FL, and I could feel the whole place staring at me. I swear I heard "Fidel" mixed in with some whispered spanish (which I can't speak well at all) as I walked by a few tables.... hahah

• Members

Right now I'm making mostly neck knives, though I did design a larger version of one of my necker designs for hunting/camping use. I'm planning on expanding my designs in the future, but I'd like to turn out about 15 or 20 knives in my current designs before I get too carried away with other stuff. I'm also nailing down this stencil design so I can mark my blades before I start selling them, but hopefully I'll have that ready to go in a couple weeks.

As far as steels, I'm only doing 1095 high carbon steel right now, as I think it's the best compromise between edge retention, cost, and ease of heat treating. I'd like to expand to some higher quality stainless steels in the future, but I need additional equipment that's a little out of my price range currently. I might try some tool steels too, but I think I'm gonna stick with 1095 for now.

I have yet to try putting any kind of wooden or synthetic handle material on a knife either, but that's definitely in the near future too. Right now I'm just cord wrapping them, or doing bare handles.

It could take me a little while, but I can definitely work on designing you a skinner in the very least, if you're not in a huge hurry. As for the breaking knife, I'm not sure about that yet. I'm fairly new to the knife making thing.
;)

http://www.musician-central.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3788&p=63874#p63874

I posted some pics of one of my knives in loki's forum. I also have a youtube channel with a few videos showing my work as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bassthumpintwion?feature=mhum

Take your time, man. I'm in no rush (I've got 90+ knives of various makes). I just love a good custom knife.

• Members

Good luck on your venture... and I like your log. I'm looking forward to see your work.

I've recently caught the custom knife bug (owning, not making). I've got a custom shop Buck 110 from the wife as an xmas gift, a Marshall Hall fixed blade to my specs (short stubby blade loosely based on his basic utility style) and a "Tree Rat" model from Bear Paw knives on order (should be done this week).

Here is my Marshall Hall knife http://myselfalone.com/images/knife/mhk-custom_edc-007.jpg

Here is an earlier Tree Rat (mine will have nickle silver bolsters) http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/BearpawKnives/021-14.jpg

• Members

I saw a sickle, but I do like that logo.

If you ever get into balisongs, I'll buy your first one.

I would LOVE to start making balisongs. I have definitely thought about attempting that in the future, but I would probably want to get a milling maching first, so that I could fabricate one piece handles. I might play with some other ideas though before I do that. I don't know yet. I will definitely keep you in mind though!

Archived