Deadspots??

randombassist

• Members

I've been playing my Lakland 44-64 custom recently, and I noticed that out of nowhere frets 4-7 (about) on the E string completely lose bottom end. I would be playing and then whenever I hit a note in that area all the bass from the tone is gone. Its really noticeable when playing a riff that goes all over the strings, one note is full and rich, next is dead and almost inaudible because the previous and next note completely drown it out. This never happened before and the strings I have aren't that old and didn't appear to have this issue before.

Help, the wise of Harmony Central!

• Members

I've been playing my Lakland 44-64 custom recently, and I noticed that out of nowhere frets 4-7 (about) on the E string completely lose bottom end. I would be playing and then whenever I hit a note in that area all the bass from the tone is gone. Its really noticeable when playing a riff that goes all over the strings, one note is full and rich, next is dead and almost inaudible because the previous and next note completely drown it out. This never happened before and the strings I have aren't that old and didn't appear to have this issue before.

Help, the wise of Harmony Central!

If one believes in "there's no money above the 5'th fret", this could cost you.

Wood changes. Winter and summer. Tensions can arise in the neck itself or between it and the fretboard. Even in necks of well dried- and grained wood. One doesn't want adding to the tensions and keep the bass in tune all the time.

Most necks have a form of deadspots, but as yours have come all of a sudden, I'd let a good luthier or carpenter look at it or contact Lakland's CS.

Edit: I'm not one of the wise, though.

Archived