Treble from a Bergantino NV610?

Benjamin

• Members

I like a growly in your face tone and downtune from time to time. Well, I have other basses that down-tune. My main bass though I use for harmonically rich sounds. Think TOOLesque.

How does the Bergie NV610 handle the upper reaches? My current cab is a 4x10 with a 5" mid-high and that carries lots of nice top end. It just can't quite do the low and mids properly. Good but not deep enough.

• Members

I gigged the NV610 almost exclusively for 2010 with 3-4 different amps. It's a great all around cab, and sounds good for lots of things, and deserves the love and praise it gets.

However, especially now that I'm back to playing ported Mesa cabs w/ horns (even though I only have one horn barely on in my top cab) you really can see the contrast between the two. If you're used to the sudden, quick and sharp attack of a really good ported cab w/ a horn that has that sparkle on top, the NV610 is going to sound a little muted at first listen. Again not that it's bad, but that's the characteristic of a sealed, old-school "SVT"-inspired design.

If you look at Tool stuff, there's a reason JC plays with a pick and solid-state amps through big Mesa cabs, b/c it gives him that particular voice.

The NV610 can still get quick and give you plenty of treble, but again if what you're used to is a traditional ported + horn cab, you may scratch your head a little at first. Not to say that it won't or wouldn't work, just that you'll hear a pretty good difference if you have a quality cab that you're A/B'ing against the Berg, which is already in it's short life one of the all-time greats IMO and IME.

:thu:

What cab do you have now, though? If it's anything that isn't a top-tier design, the Berg is still going to be >>> no matter sealed vs. ported+horn.

• Members

Thanx man!

Current cab is a custom 4x10 with Eminence Beta 10s and a 5" mid-high. 600w @ 4ohm. I wired her for biamp from the GK 700RB-II. Even with the treble amp turned off I am happy with the high end content. The GK runs near flat, slight treble boost on bass with Bart preamp. Cab had a horn and I didn't like the crispiness.

One thing I don't understand some say the NV610 is tight. Are ported cabs tighter? The Beta 10s aren't fantastic and discussion with rpsands hinted that the cab isn't ported right for them. She's been faithful but a change willbe needed for my band and occasional or frequent downtuning.

Archived