Beginner amp?

jrcorp

• Members

Russell L........agreed...sort of....my gigging rig is a 250 watt, Hartke HyDrive 115c. I've also got a Yorkville BassMaster 100 as a practice/backup. The OP was looking for something in the $200 range that he could use at home, church and at jams. Not too sure he'll find something with that kind of power for $200.

The little GK combo that I pointed him to was one that I recently traded in for the Yorkville cause a wanted a 15" speaker instead of the 12"......strictly a matter of preference.

• Members

Take a look at Behringer bass combo amps at Musician's Friend. There's one with 115 and one with 112. Both are 180w. I think the 112 was about $238 and the 115 was $292. but there was a used 112 for just over $200, too. I don't know about Behringer quality, but their prices are sure good. I think if you treat it nice and aren't going on the road all the time with a band they might do ok.

My point in my other post was simply to show a comparison of what kind of power some of us like. I realize the OP doesn't want to pay for a Markbass.

• Members

I would love to rip open the Peavey myself, but I can't for the life of me find any screws or otherwise that would lead to opening the thing up. The only ways in that I see are prying off the speaker cover which is attached with staples, cutting into the covering on the amp, or (maybe) loosening some screws and seeing where it gets me. Maybe I'll post a thread with some pictures.

If I need to, I may just go to Noll. I had them set up a hollowbody for me once, and though I don't like to spend that much when I'm cheap and far from a pro, maybe I should suck it up. I know they're the big name in luthier/guitar shops here.

I took my Peavey Combo 300 apart. Well, got the amp out of the top, that is. And the grill cloth off. Yeah, I didn't like the staples in the way. The amp was a tight fit, but I got it out. It had been cutting out on me. Turns out it was just a loose connector (speaker to amp). As I remember there were some screws in the top of the box that let the amp go. Just mess with it, it's not rocket science. I bet you can open yours up, too.

• Members

Take a look at Behringer bass combo amps at Musician's Friend. There's one with 115 and one with 112. Both are 180w. I think the 112 was about $238 and the 115 was $292. but there was a used 112 for just over $200, too. I don't know about Behringer quality, but their prices are sure good. I think if you treat it nice and aren't going on the road all the time with a band they might do ok.

My point in my other post was simply to show a comparison of what kind of power some of us like. I realize the OP doesn't want to pay for a Markbass.

Their prices mirror their quality. Behringer = {censored} (as well as Bugera, Behringer's lower line)

• Members

I took my Peavey Combo 300 apart. Well, got the amp out of the top, that is. And the grill cloth off. Yeah, I didn't like the staples in the way. The amp was a tight fit, but I got it out. It had been cutting out on me. Turns out it was just a loose connector (speaker to amp). As I remember there were some screws in the top of the box that let the amp go. Just mess with it, it's not rocket science. I bet you can open yours up, too.

Yeah...usually, after the initial panic of disassembling your own gear for the first time passes, you realize it wasn't that hard after all. Then there's the satisfaction you get when you put it back together and your problem is (hopefully) solved and everything works! :lol:

• Members

I appreciate the response and willingness to help, but at least from some experience and what I've heard, Behringer products tend to be of a lower quality than the competition. I've looked at their bass amps on and off since I've thought about really picking bass up again, but I'd be afraid to buy their stuff as the quality is okay and they seem to break down relatively quickly (beyond easy repair).

• Members

I have this Peavey amp that I think will suit me well, it's just a matter of cracking it open and taking a good look. I'll get to it, I'm just stressed for time recently. I think its power would be fine for church - I'll probably mic it and run through the PA, or use a DI and just use the Peavey as a monitor. Either way, there's not so much going on in the church group that I wouldn't be able to hear myself. I'm pretty sure I was using either a Crate or a Peavey 1x15 combo borrowed when I used to play at church, so I'll be fine.

If and when I do look to purchase a new (probably used) amp, I'll either be going with another small combo to serve as a quality practice amp for home and maybe a small jam, or a head as the first step to a decent combo.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Hey guys... almost a year later, and I'm posting the Peavey up for sale here and on CL. I hadn't ever cracked it open, but this local guy doesn't want to take a look unless I know the speaker is good. I managed to get the amp chassis out, so I'll try to clear out the dust and clean the pots while it's open. But the way the speaker is, I don't know how to get to it! I'm going to have to pry the speaker grill off with something and hope I can staple it back on later, I guess. Maybe I can mount it with some screws.

Anyone else have experience here? At this point I almost want to crack it open just to see what the heck is inside. There's always been a weird rattle, and the cab part of the amp seems totally separate from everything else.

Archived