fixing neck bow (or "backbow")

mlwarriner

• Members

bought a used g-bass from fee-bay a while back. seller said it had neck issues. the price was good enough, i took the chance.

finally tonight got around to taking a look at it. with the neck completely off of the bass, i laid a straight edge down on the frets. there's a gap about the thickness of a quarter around the 9th-ish fret.

the truss rod is loose. no tension on it whatsoever. would tightening the truss rod pull the neck into flat-ness?

• Members

...the truss rod is loose. no tension on it whatsoever.

?? I seriously hope it is not broken. But, even then, it can be fixed. But most likely just very loose.

Don't adjust the neck exactly where you want it until the neck is back on the bass with strings on it. You might over-correct it, and when you string it up, it will be worse. Strings pull the front - truss rod pushes toward the back to compensate. Without strings, I would not make any adjustments.

• Members

?? I seriously hope it is not broken. But, even then, it can be fixed. But most likely just very loose.

Don't adjust the neck exactly where you want it until the neck is back on the bass with strings on it. You might over-correct it, and when you string it up, it will be worse. Strings pull the front - truss rod pushes toward the back to compensate. Without strings, I would not make any adjustments.

should be ok though, to at least make sure the truss rod is going to work, right?

• Members

:thu:

And give it time with the strings on before doing too much....a little at a time is best.

• Members

It is likely not neck bow at all, but rather a truss rod issue. That said, if you adjust and it still isn't right, you may need to look at getting it worked on by a luthier, possibly even a neck replacement.

Either way, take time to work with the truss rod (with strings on), and see how that treats you. Seems you're heading in the right direction already. Also be sure the bridge is adjusted low enough to get the action you want without ruining the tone. Truss plus bridge usually does the trick if the neck is still good.

• Members

It's got a graphite neck if I remember correctly. It won't need much time to "settle".

I would tighten the truss rod to the point where it's straight while you've got it dismantled, and then see how it'll behave when strings are mounted (not that there's any point, you could just as well tighten it with strings on, that's just what I would like to do). If you can't adjust the relief, I would take the neck to a luthier.

Archived