Can someone recommend an entry level bass?

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

Epiphone Tobias Deluxe IV

DV016_Jpg_Large_1351522051144_A.jpg

$249 on Musician's Friend. About as affordable as you can ask for. Asymmetrical neck, jazz pickups, comfy comfy bass. I love my Killer B5, but this el-cheapo is such a comfy, easy bass to play. Found this on Craigslist, took me 5 minutes to decide to buy it.

I'm selling off all my Ibanez gear, except my Gary Willis, and replacing with these po-boy-Tobias axes.

And yes, they have a 5-string version...

• Members

Epiphone Tobias Deluxe IV

DV016_Jpg_Large_1351522051144_A.jpg

$249 on Musician's Friend. About as affordable as you can ask for. Asymmetrical neck, jazz pickups, comfy comfy bass. I love my Killer B5, but this el-cheapo is such a comfy, easy bass to play. Found this on Craigslist, took me 5 minutes to decide to buy it.

I'm selling off all my Ibanez gear, except my Gary Willis, and replacing with these po-boy-Tobias axes.

And yes, they have a 5-string version...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by perrydabassman

View Post

You might look at the lower end soundgears as well. Between Squire and Ibanez, there is plenty of bang for your buck in the sub 400 dollar range.

A couple months ago, I went shopping for a backup instrument at one of the big chains. I played every bass that cost less than $350 (can't remember exactly, but it was more than 15) and walked away with an Ibanez SoundGear SR250 for less than $250. Plays great, sounds great, priced great. I think of it as the Honda Civic of electric bass.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by perrydabassman

View Post

You might look at the lower end soundgears as well. Between Squire and Ibanez, there is plenty of bang for your buck in the sub 400 dollar range.

A couple months ago, I went shopping for a backup instrument at one of the big chains. I played every bass that cost less than $350 (can't remember exactly, but it was more than 15) and walked away with an Ibanez SoundGear SR250 for less than $250. Plays great, sounds great, priced great. I think of it as the Honda Civic of electric bass.

• Members

REFINISH!

Strip it down, and paint it how you want! For example:

SCSPassionandWarfareSwirlTwoenhanced.jpg
BlackandWhiteSwirlTwo.jpg
murder-swirl.jpg

I'm taking one of my boring black basses, and giving it a digital camo paint job. We're using a bunch of different automotive metallic blues and grays and whites.

Get creative!

• Members

REFINISH!

Strip it down, and paint it how you want! For example:

SCSPassionandWarfareSwirlTwoenhanced.jpg
BlackandWhiteSwirlTwo.jpg
murder-swirl.jpg

I'm taking one of my boring black basses, and giving it a digital camo paint job. We're using a bunch of different automotive metallic blues and grays and whites.

Get creative!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I played a Squier bass the other day that impressed me, (and apologies because I have been quietly prejudiced against that line for a while).

The Squire VIntage Modified Jaguar bass has a small neck, a very comfortable body and a P+J pickup configuration. It might be very appealing to a new player, I certainly liked it. It was about $300.

I'm always a little skeptical of the 'setup' being done properly on new instruments in a store, so have them doublecheck that. But it was a very appealing and comfortable bass.

Archived