Challenge: show off your amazing range

SevenString

• Members

I never said it wasn't important, I just said it wasn't THAT important and basically that I'm sad to see that for so many singers it all comes down to that one thing. Of course you want to develop your range, just as much as you want to develop your breath control, your dynamics etc. But nobody ever feels the need to compete or brag when it comes to dynamics or breath control, right? This way, it's all starting to look like a sport to me, not art.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never said it wasn't important, I just said it wasn't THAT important and basically that I'm sad to see that for so many singers it all comes down to that one thing. Of course you want to develop your range, just as much as you want to develop your breath control, your dynamics etc. But nobody ever feels the need to compete or brag when it comes to dynamics or breath control, right? This way, it's all starting to look like a sport to me, not art.

I agree! I can't stand singers who brag...a singers job is to deliver emotions to the listener, it's not some circus to show off nice range and tricks, they are completely secondary, just some tools among others to deliver emotions...that's how I see it. lol And yeah I know off-topic yada yada...

• Members

Lol, the words "show off" in the topic really put me off.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my exact range is. I think the lowest I can sing is an F2 (excluding vocal fry) and the highest I've probably ever hit in full voice is a Bb5 during vocal practice. No proof of it though. On the song in my signature I sing up to an F5.

• Members
Somebody need to learn how to read....
:facepalm:

Somebody NEEDS to learn how to properly use English before they criticize someone else's reading ability. :cop::facepalm:;)

I find it hilarious how often people make typos and little grammar mistakes when they're criticizing others for similar transgressions. Too funny.

Brian V.

• Members

I bet my english is no worse than your norwegian... :poke:

True enough, but not really much of an argument. It's actually more of a strawman argument, because I don't attempt to speak and write Norwegian. I have absolutely no knowledge of the language at all, mostly because I have no use for it, and as such, you don't see me criticizing anyone for their Norwegian grammar skills or reading comprehension. :) :poke:

When I pop up on a Norwegian-language board and start dissing people for their poor Norwegian grammar, feel free to castigate me. :cop:

I just wish I had a decent clip to post that showed off my amazing range so I could be on topic for once. :)

Brian V.

• Members
When I pop up on a Norwegian-language board and start dissing people for their poor Norwegian grammar, feel free to castigate me.
:cop:

So until you learn some norwegian you continue dissing non-english posters grammar in response to stay on-topic reminders?

OK, so now I'm off-topic too...

I too wish I had a clip to post. The built-in mic on this old computer isn't of much use.

On-topic:
=============================
So what are the rules of this range competition? Is it ok to sing notes used in songs I sing on a live gig?

• Members

So until you learn some norwegian you continue dissing non-english posters grammar in response to stay on-topic reminders?

OK, so now I'm off-topic too...

I too wish I had a clip to post. The built-in mic on this old computer isn't of much use.

On-topic:

=============================

So what are the rules of this range competition? Is it ok to sing notes used in songs I sing on a live gig?

Uh, yes? :confused: Why would notes you would sing at a gig be excluded?

I didn't post any hard and fast rules, except the notes demonstrating your range should be "usable".

In other words, grunts and squeaks don't count, only actual controlled notes.

Oh, and I never said it was a competition. ;):cop:

• Members

I wasn't dissing you, I was merely pointing out the amusing irony that you made a grammar mistake while telling someone to learn to read. That's just funny to me.

I'm sorry you took it as a dis - it surely wasn't my intent. I was just teasing (hence the winking smiley I purposely put in there).

I maintain that bringing up my inability to speak your mother tongue still does nothing for your argument, because I certainly wasn't teasing you because English is not your native language. It had NOTHING to do with it.

Gentle ribbing never comes through well enough in typed messages.

An mp3 of my singing - it's a sloppy performance, and doesn't really show my range (only kinda sorta), but I figured at this point I had to post something, since I've been Mr. Off Topic: A half-assed Maroon 5 cover

Brian V.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

... a short clip. I tested the builtin mic of my laptop, and as you can hear it isn't of much use. But you might hear it is a full voice arpeggio from E (lowest guitar string) to high e-string 12-fret in full voice. This is about my useful full voice range without any warmup and no strain/tension/pushing. So, adding fry and falsetto gives me a OK range, but nothing about this is freaky, search youtube for circus show.

I used to struggle with the open high e string, and landing at 3 fret (G) on low E, leaving me with less than 2 octaves, and all this on a good day with warmup and straining. My falsetto was totally useless. It wasn't until I dicovered mix/head and the zip technique that I suddenly got much better range, and stopped to tense my voice. Strangely I expanded down and my falsetto started to be useful and now I can do seamless transitions into falsetto on any pitch on any fret on the high e-string.

• Members
Well, this uses some special techniques, but I go from a low of F#1 at about 46 Hz to a high around F#7 around 2960 Hz (the high, flute-like sound in the middle section) of the song, Siberia:

http://khoomei.com/bigsky/mp3/siberia.mp3

I can go lower, and a bit higher, but that's 6 octaves. How's that?

That's your voice on the high flute-like bit? :freak: That is some crazy {censored}! And very cool! :thu::o

• Members

is a 3 octave useable range good, why?

Yes, it CAN be a good thing.

All other things being equal, a 3 or more octave range can give a singer more options than a 1 or 2 octave range. Some, especially males, think a wide range and the ability to sing high is something of a holy grail. Others look at it as just another, sometimes important, tool in their toolbox.

I used to be a "range as the holy grail" kind of guy when I was younger, but now I'm more in the "range as a tool" category.

Please notice where I said "all other things being equal". I would MUCH rather hear a great singer with a mediocre range than a mediocre singer with a great range.

• Members

I don't really have anything that shows any range, it's not the style of music I do.

I have to say that I don't usually like it when music or musical ability becomes a competition.

But I have this one thing I do when I play the flute that's kind of fun in an Ian Andersonish kind of way..... listen to the solo it starts at 1:56... The song is call "Phantom Lovers"

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=72035012

• Members

All other things being equal, a 3 or more octave range can give a singer more options than a 1 or 2 octave range. Some, especially males, think a wide range and the ability to sing high is something of a holy grail. Others look at it as just another, sometimes important, tool in their toolbox.

When I had 1 1/2 octave, range WAS the holy grail for me. Then I learned that expanding wasn't about pushing, sweating and straining more, but relaxing and coordination, and range doubled suddenly. So when I at last had it, it suddenly became another tool in my toolbox and not a grail anymore.

This tool is the freedom to not bother bout key and songs I can't sing because my technique don't cut it. My band don't have to play cool open string riffs in Gb because of me. Try to play thunderstruck in F, you'll see what I mean...

This freedom leaves me with lots of time to focus on other important aspects like sound, effects, placement, reconance etc....

This tool also helps me as a cover artist, I can sing Johnny Cash songs that sounds like Johnny Cash and AC/DC songs that sounds like AC/DC. Which was why I decided to work on range at all.

If I was a singer/songwriter I would probably NOT bother woth range.

• Members

Can you post any of your Soundgarden covers? I'd love to hear them.

I know you weren't talking to me, but I did some covers a while back and posted them on youtube. One audioslave, one Soundgarden. Not good at all very out of control and I think I even had bronchitis when I did the Audioslave one.

[YOUTUBE]0u6N-vyESYQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]jJYHIlKskDA[/YOUTUBE]

About this thread ... I don't know how many octaves I have, or what the particular notes are, but I can go pretty high and I have a naturally deep voice. The sound quality of the voice itself is ehh .. but that's another story. I go by who I sing along to. I sing along a lot to Chris Cornell I can do "say hello to heaven" and the harmony vocals on the chorus of "Reach down". The highest he has sung as far as I know is on "Smokestack Lightning". I've reached that particular note a few times, but certainly not always.

In the end of the Fell on Black Days cover I do this high thing .. There are some originals on the myspace page below that have me somewhere in the middle.

• Members

honestly the whole....."i have 4/5 octaves range" bothers me.....but not because i'm jealous.....but because ppl r always sayin it.....and i really want to no if they are including their falsetto or its just chest, head and mix.....
cos i could boast too if i included my falsetto.......
modal register is bout 3 octaves (B1-B4)
falsetto G2-F#6
that gives me a total of sumting i can be bothered to workout....lol...

can be bothered now.....lol......a total of............4.5 octaves...
YAY ME!!!!

• Members
honestly the whole....."i have 4/5 octaves range" bothers me.....but not because i'm jealous.....but because ppl r always sayin it.....and i really want to no if they are including their falsetto or its just chest, head and mix.....

cos i could boast too if i included my falsetto.......

modal register is bout 2.5 octaves (B1-A#4)

falsetto G2-F#6

that gives me a total of sumting i can be bothered to workout....lol...

can be bothered now.....lol......a total of............4.5 octaves...

YAY ME!!!!

:freak: You are a freaking freak!! Now sing me a song. :thu:

Archived