I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

Always has this one looked to the stars.

Never his mind on where he was. Or, what he was doing, hm?

mad.gif

Well, if someone would get me the training... rolleyes.gif

I can only do so much playing Jedi baseball and lobbing rocks around.

Though, come to think of it, Jedi baseball might just be the thing for Paris Hilton biggrin.gif

• Members

There it is again, that strange, perverted M&M. confused.gif

Howdy, fruno/Clapton! Not much to report, except some filet mignon at home with a meh attempt at garlic butter for the anniversary a couple days ago.

Went to Ruth's Chris last night for dinner. It was my wife's friends b-day so we took her and her husband out to celebrate. Also had a nice bottle of 2001 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon - Alexander Valley. Good though nowhere near my favorite cab. Went well with the steak, though.

• Members
Originally posted by niomosy

Went to Ruth's Chris last night for dinner. It was my wife's friends b-day so we took her and her husband out to celebrate. Also had a nice bottle of 2001 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon - Alexander Valley. Good though nowhere near my favorite cab. Went well with the steak, though.
cabs are OK, but i like something bigger, like a merlot or a shiraz or a zinfandel.

Ruth's Chris is a great steakhouse. i've been to the one in DC (Alexandria?) one just opened here.

• Members

Originally posted by frunobulax

grilled?

you didn't make the garlic butter in the microwave? mad.gif

congrats on the anniversary! #?

Not grilled on the outdoor grill, but on the pan with the ridges to mimic a grill on the stove. wink.gif

It's November and a bit nippy outside to be grilling, especially when you're coming off of several days of sinusitis/congestion. Also, I'm out of charcoal at the moment.

No microwave for the butter. tongue.gif The recipe said to boil garlic cloves 5 minutes, which is too long. Then I pressed it and put too much butter in when I mixed it up with the mortar pestle... but it was still reasonably OK, just not nearly enough garlic bite.

And, thanks! Anniversary #4. freak.gif

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

Mmm. Cab.

We had a Sterling Vineyards 2003. The 2002 was better, but 2003 is just fine by me.

• Members

Not grilled on the outdoor grill, but on the pan with the ridges to mimic a grill on the stove. wink.gif
do those work? i've got one somewhere.

It's November and a bit nippy outside to be grilling, especially when you're coming off of several days of sinusitis/congestion. Also, I'm out of charcoal at the moment.
i keep the gas grill out all winter, and i will break out the Weber for special occasions.

No microwave for the butter. tongue.gif The recipe said to boil garlic cloves 5 minutes, which is too long. Then I pressed it and put too much butter in when I mixed it up with the mortar pestle... but it was still reasonably OK, just not nearly enough garlic bite.
should always double the amount of garlic a recipe calls for

And, thanks! Anniversary #4. freak.gif
noob! tongue.gif

• Members

cabs are OK, but i like something bigger, like a merlot or a shiraz or a zinfandel.

Ruth's Chris is a great steakhouse. i've been to the one in DC (Alexandria?) one just opened here.

I'm a big Zin fan. I like a good Syrah as well (most of what I buy is usually Syrah and Zin). I wanted to try the Silver Oak, though, since I'd heard a fair amount of talk about them. Actually, a really good Pinot Noir works really well with filet mignon as well.

There's a place called The Porterhouse down in Beverly Hills. The prices aren't too bad despite the location. Had a 2003 Norman - The Monster - Zinfandel there. That's some damn good stuff biggrin.gif My local shop started carrying it as well thumb.gif I'm due for 2 more bottles this month. I know what one of them's gonna be biggrin.gif

I must say, Ruth's Chris has a reasonably priced wine selection. Probably because they appear to sell a fair amount. The Silver Oak was $60 from Silver Oak and maybe a little less from a retailer on a good day. It was $95 at the restaurant. Not too bad considering service, storage, etc. I've heard of 2x or 3x mark-ups on wine.

That and they serve their filet on a super-hot plate in butter. What's not to love about that? biggrin.gif They also make a good lobster bisque wink.gif

• Members

do those work? i've got one somewhere.

Sort of. You get ridges on the meat, but you still gotta oil the pan, and though mine is supposedly non-stick, pork and beef juices tend to burn pretty easy in the troughs, with moderate difficulty in getting the burn layer out (I can't get mine completely out, thanks to even smaller ridges in the pan surface).

It does elevate the meat out of the oil to some degree, though.

i keep the gas grill out all winter, and i will break out the Weber for special occasions.

Pfft. Gas. rolleyes.gif And you give me {censored} about microwaves... biggrin.giftongue.gif

should always double the amount of garlic a recipe calls for

I agree with you. I figured two honking cloves in a bit of butter should've done the trick. But next time I won't boil it more than 1-2 minutes, max. I like garlic...

noob! tongue.gif

Yes, well, it seems like a decade, sometimes... wink.gif

• Members

I just figured I can splurge on a reasonably special day. wink.gif

Especially by cooking the meal at home and not going to a restaurant.

I'd say that's pretty fair thumb.gif

Haven't been able to enjoy any wine with my wife for a while now frown.gif

Bummer is, my friends aren't overly wine people, either.