Low Tone's migrated

Same with BMAL

Sixgun77 seems to have dropped out.

Mel's on ebassist

Lug doesn't mind his name being mentioned in TK now

Mr Crow's been quiet lately.

Same with B-Bottom

Ryand seems to pop into ebassist more

Some of the others just seem to be quiet.

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

Low Tone's migrated

Same with BMAL

Sixgun77 seems to have dropped out.

Mel's on ebassist

Lug doesn't mind his name being mentioned in TK now

Mr Crow's been quiet lately.

Same with B-Bottom

Ryand seems to pop into ebassist more

Some of the others just seem to be quiet.

doh redface.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

I'll be honest, I don't trust online translators anymore. Did you say "I am" ?

arg, I'm bored and I don't want to go to Speech class. Will you go and take notes for me? Its only for 3 hours.

yup I am but the la is missing an accent because my keyboard is not french.

and I though l

• Members

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

I'll be honest, I don't trust online translators anymore. Did you say "I am" ?

arg, I'm bored and I don't want to go to Speech class. Will you go and take notes for me? Its only for 3 hours.

I've gotta go on Wednesday... and it's speech night for me mad.gif

Wanna do my speech? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

• Members

ebassist is not a party that requires invitations. just go. smile.gif

that includes mxpxfan, who may get made fun for many reasons, but not so much his political views. smile.gif (I hope people haven't done that much to you -- but then, lug is ALWAYS making fun of my political views, so don't take it too hard. wink.gif )

In other news:

Captain Niomo!!

You want to read and comment on this as a favor for me giving you the best, most amusing years of my life. biggrin.gif

Or something like that. confused.gif

• Members

I've gotta go on Wednesday... and it's speech night for me mad.gif

Wanna do my speech? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Who's the audience?

What's the topic?

Always remember this: when it came to speeches, Reagan usually practiced his ass off.

I'm not exactly his biggest fan, but the Gipper knew something about giving a good speech. wink.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

Who's the audience?

What's the topic?

Always remember this: when it came to speeches, Reagan usually practiced his ass off.

I'm not exactly his biggest fan, but the Gipper knew something about giving a good speech. wink.gif

Audience: my Speech class classmates (still trying, ever so slowly, to get my damn degree.... rolleyes.gif )

Topic: volleyball setting - to give the audience a better understanding of the role of the setter

I'll have to work on the practice thing. I'll have tonight to practice a bit, then tomorrow a little.

• Members

ebassist is not a party that requires invitations. just go. smile.gif

that includes mxpxfan, who may get made fun for many reasons, but not so much his political views. smile.gif (I hope people haven't done that much to you -- but then, lug is ALWAYS making fun of my political views, so don't take it too hard. wink.gif )

In other news:

Captain Niomo!!

You want to read and comment on this as a favor for me giving you the best, most amusing years of my life. biggrin.gif

Or something like that. confused.gif

Commented! Happy to help you out on that one biggrin.gif

• Members

Commented! Happy to help you out on that one biggrin.gif

*bows*

Turns out one of my friend's IT consultants is also a cognitive psychologist. So that should really help figure out the human interface end of things. cool.gif

Mucho thanks!

A speech entirely devoted to volleyball setters/setting? confused.gif

I had no idea it was so intricate.

Sounds like you're working on informative speeches?

Seems to me the key there is answering the "So what?" question for the audience. As in, why would they (probably including non-volleyball players?) possibly care about volleyball setting for the next 5-20 minutes? And continue caring? (Not to be snarky; I'm serious...)

Funny on-screen pictures of bad setting might help. biggrin.gif

• Members

*bows*

Turns out one of my friend's IT consultants is also a cognitive psychologist. So that should really help figure out the human interface end of things. cool.gif

Mucho thanks!

A speech entirely devoted to volleyball setters/setting? confused.gif

I had no idea it was so intricate.

Sounds like you're working on informative speeches?

Seems to me the key there is answering the "So what?" question for the audience. As in, why would they (probably including non-volleyball players?) possibly care about volleyball setting for the next 5-20 minutes? And continue caring? (Not to be snarky; I'm serious...)

Funny on-screen pictures of bad setting might help. biggrin.gif

Bad sets... I hadn't thought of that! It's tonight so it might be a tad late getting them taken and printed for everyone before I leave work wink.gif

Yes, it's an informative speech. Some people did stuff like, "how to make a carrot cake" or "how to make a khalua cake".... with sampled cool.gif

Actually, I don't need to worry about the "so what". We're under the assumption that our audience is there specifically for that topic and are merely informing. We'll get into those types of speeches later.

And no 5-20 minutes. 3-5 max for this one. 5-7 for the next two (only 3 speeches for the semester so it's not too bad). With 30 or so students, we've got a bunch of speeches to get through.

The thing I've got to work on now is keeping things short! 3-5 should fly pretty quickly since I am a setter wink.gif

As for the complexity.... let's just say this for starters. Imagine the volleyball net. Now imagine that there's probably a different set type for just about any position of the ball on that net wink.gif Then you get various schools that use their own system for calling sets. There's tone of different special plays to call (X, reverse X, stack, tandem, slide...) plus now we've got hitters running swings where they're in motion like you'd expect to see in the NBA.

The setter gets to keep track of all of this crap plus keep an eye on the blockers and defense of the other team to try and set to weak spots... or take a swing at the ball him/herself to confuse the other team wink.gif

Usually it's not that complicated unless you're at the college/olympic level. Just run the basic sets... maybe a quick set or two and a special play on a rare occasion.

• Members

Usually it's not that complicated unless you're at the college/olympic level. Just run the basic sets... maybe a quick set or two and a special play on a rare occasion.

eek.gif

I was about to say. What happened to drink a beer/set up a net behind the dorm? biggrin.gif

'Course, this is how I blew my knee the second time in a few months, 13 years ago. Damn beach. mad.gif

biggrin.gif

I was watching a women's college game for five minutes this past weekend. It was obviously intricate as all get out.