Another upsetting post, need to vent

anthony

• Members

So turns out my drummer had it out (an argument ending with taunts of whoopin on em) with some of the employees of the place we played last night. My 2 band mates are Asian and one bartender and bouncer were making hispanic slurs toward him. I didn't find out until today. Definitely one place I won't play again. It must suck to not be white and have to deal with racism on a daily basis.

• Members

Not only would I not seek any more shows at the venue -- but it might not be a bad idea to consider contacting the owner of the venue and let him know of the situation. He/She may not be aware that he/she has employees that representing/misrepresenting the establishment as they are.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

Or, it must suck to be white in a place where whites are the minority, and on the receiving end of racism.

I'm a mostly white guy in an otherwise all-black band, and consequently we play quite a few venues that cater to black audiences. I can say that I have not once experienced discrimination in the slightest from a black audience member. At one of the black clubs we play at I'm treated like I'm damn near royalty because I can hit high notes like Prince. :D I think racism towards white people is a lot less prevalent than it is made out to be.

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

I'm a mostly white guy in an otherwise all-black band, and consequently we play quite a few venues that cater to black audiences. I can say that I have not once experienced discrimination in the slightest from a black audience member. At one of the black clubs we play at I'm treated like I'm damn near royalty because I can hit high notes like Prince.
:D
I think racism towards white people is a lot less prevalent than it is made out to be.

I'm white and have dreds - I've had crap off black guys that think only black guys should have dreds a number of times. But generally - yeh you're right.

• Members

i would have to say for riffdaddy that it is only geography. i play in an all white band, mostly in all white clubs. i have played events where black people were not the majority. here in the south(mississippi) they are not the minority. i will say that as far as musicians and the music scene, i have never had a problem with any black person and the people that i have played for or played with have always been hospitable and color was not an issue. on the other hand, the political scene here is way different. i thing whites are subject to more racism than blacks. look at the civil rights trial. it will cost the state millions to prosecute killian and he will die of old age probably in less than a year. what a waste of money. i'm not saying its right, but it is time to move on.

if you are white you vote white. if you are black you vote black.

nobody really cares if a person is qualified or not. thats the way it is in my south. if you haven't lived in the south you really cant judge. we have good people here black and white. we have bad people black and white.

GOD is not color blind. HE sees us as the colors HE made us and loves us unconditionally.

kevin james

www.monkeyboneband.com

• Members

Originally posted by e-b-e

Not only would I not seek any more shows at the venue -- but it might not be a bad idea to consider contacting the owner of the venue and let him know of the situation. He/She may not be aware that he/she has employees that representing/misrepresenting the establishment as they are.

Absolutely!!!! That is BULL{censored}! I doesn't matter if your band carries no clout at that venue... contact the owner... let him/her know the situation, and tell them that you reluctantly won't book there again.

• Members

I play in a mixed race band that over the years has had as members; Jews, African Americans, a Sicilian, a Somalian Muslim, a Homosexual, and a basic suburban US WASP (me :) ). I can only remember encountering incidents of racism 3 times. Once from a redneck that saw our bass player and asked "Who let a black guy in here?". Our bass player (a former Golden Gloves boxer and "toughest man" competitor) just walked up to the guy, smiled and asked "Who let the white guy in?". They both laughed and the situation was diffused. Another time, I was filling in with an all-black band in an all-black venue and I got a bunch of {censored} from the audience. Most of it was good hearted fun though with "How you play so funky, white boy?" being the predominant theme. I just gave it back with a smile and we all had fun. The most troubling incident came from the same all-black venue when my regular band was playing there. Our bass player's mixed-race son was hanging with us and a couple of assholes were trying to get into it with him for not being "true black". Fortunately, they got thrown out before the situation got out of hand.

Ignorant assholes come in all colors and like Ted sez, they'll always be with us.

• Members

Originally posted by PBBPaul

I play in a mixed race band that over the years has had as members; Jews, African Americans, a Sicilian, a Somalian Muslim, a Homosexual, and a basic suburban US WASP (me
:)
). I can only remember encountering incidents of racism 3 times. Once from a redneck that saw our bass player and asked "Who let a black guy in here?". Our bass player (a former Golden Gloves boxer and "toughest man" competitor) just walked up to the guy, smiled and asked "Who let the white guy in?". They both laughed and the situation was diffused. Another time, I was filling in with an all-black band in an all-black venue and I got a bunch of {censored} from the audience. Most of it was good hearted fun though with "How you play so funky, white boy?" being the predominant theme. I just gave it back with a smile and we all had fun. The most troubling incident came from the same all-black venue when my regular band was playing there. Our bass player's mixed-race son was hanging with us and a couple of assholes were trying to get into it with him for not being "true black". Fortunately, they got thrown out before the situation got out of hand.

Ignorant assholes come in all colors and like Ted sez, they'll always be with us.

That's very true - I remember an Indian friend of mine at Uni used to get crap of some of his Indian mates for hanging round with us white-boys too much.

• Members

I am black and lead an all white band. We play funky r@b. People look at us with interest before we play, I wear silly assed cowboy hats , cheap beads, leather pants and bright stage gear. People don,t know if I am gay or straight. Its all fun.

Colour never becomes an issue after the first notes.

Archived