earplugs...

• Members
Originally posted by mr3lions

Mr. Hall,

Upon reading many of your posts I have come to the opinion that you are indeed a very intelligent human being. Don't want to start a great big love in and I'm afraid I'm not in the monument building business but I must give you your props. An intelligent, articulate OJ poster! What's it like to be in the minority?

sincerely

Mr3

Aw, shucks... **blush**

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

There really are such drummers, but you won't find them in garages, you find them in orchestras, jazz bands, and those type of places...and these guy's'll out-rock any "rock" drummer.

Check out Steve Gadd, Doug Clifford, Sheila Escovedo, or Carter Beauford to see what I'm talking about!

Yeah I knew exactly what you were referring to and our drummer is one of those guys.

We still like it when he plays loud at times. And although the Steve Gadds and Doug Cliffords of the world are great, so are the Keith Moons and John Bonhams.

• Members

My drummer can play well and quiet also. But then he's been playing two to three times a week almost every week for 30 years. When I sing or play with other groups, I find myself having to stand as far from the drummer as possible.
My ears have been ringing for 25 years now and they are very sensitive to loud noises.

Do in ear monitors provide hearing protection-especially the one with molded ear pieces?
rar

• Members

Yes, in-ear monitors do provide hearing protection. It can be tough to get used to them especially if you don't have a good sound man, and personally I don't enjoy performing with them, but lots of musicians love 'em.

Me, I'll stick with plain ol' custom made plugs.

I should add too that some musicians who use in-ears and have a hard time adjusting to their idiosyncracies, will start using only ONE IEM. It might seem obvious that this is an extremely dangerous thing to do to your hearing, as you have to turn up your one IEM twice as loud in order to hear it over the natural sound coming into your other ear - but it's amazing how many people (including famous ones) do it anyway.

• Members

Well, you might like IEM's then. Definitely you'll hear the subtleties better than you ever did with monitors, but it does take some mixing skill to get a decent mix with them. Also you might find it annoying that you can't talk to your bandmates or audience members between songs because you won't hear anybody who's not on mic.

My band were beta testers for the Bose Personalized Amplification System, and we continue to use those and are really happy with them. We definitely hear our vocals better than we ever did, without IEM's. If your band is willing to keep your stage volume at a reasonable level you might like 'em.

Also, the custom earplugs allow you to hear subtleties really well because they don't muddy up the sound. In fact you can hear everything better with the plugs than without them, since the ear starts to naturally compress sound at higher volumes.

• Members

Hello again! I rehearse just about everywhere from my apartment to a small rehearsal room. The cool thing is that we differentiate between practice and performance so we can practice without killing our hearing or annoying the neighbors.
Last week we had a party where a bunch of people were playing music and we all were able to have a great time without going crazy with the noise, although it only takes one guy to ruin that scenario.
I think it helps that we've been doing this for a while and we all don't want to play loud anymore. ;)

Originally posted by doubleR

Where do you rehearse?

It doesn't matter how good a drummer's dynamics are--if you practice in a small rehearsal studio or garage you are at risk of hearing damage.

Archived