Starting a new band

fastplant

• Members

Man, I haven't started a band from scratch in a long time. I forgot how slow the process is. We had our first practice on Sunday, and I can't imagine us playing out any time soon. We got the basics of only 3 songs down (granted they're pretty complicated tunes). It's probably for the best as I could use some time off from playing out.

But what are some good pointers for a band starting out? What are some tips to make sure everyone stays motivated in the slow begining stages?

• Members

You need working time and playing time. At the initial stages you might be better off sticking with the simpler tunes in order to get a decent number of songs on your list then add in the more complicated ones later.

Give everyone in the band a CD or tape with the songs you're working on and have them practice their parts at home before coming together for group practice.

Do your homework--break down the song into sections and write it down so that everyone is in agreement on how the songs start, how they end, how many times you go around, etc.

Work hard during group practice, but keep some time open for noodling around on jams or open up a few cold ones and share some life experiences with each other. You have to set aside some time for fun otherwise people will start dreadign the group practice.

• Members

Thanks guys. We're still trying some people out. Our drummer is definitely not on the same page as us so we're looking to replace him as well. So we have that to deal with too. We'll see how this turns out. It's just funny because the last bands I've been in I always joined after this stage was over. So it's a bit frustrating to start over completely.

• Members

I always found that if you sit down as a band and outline your goals and accomplishments along with reasonable time frames then it keeps everyone motivated to achieve them and not so worried about why their not playing shows.

• Members

Originally posted by Sleef

I always found that if you sit down as a band and outline your goals and accomplishments along with reasonable time frames then it keeps everyone motivated to achieve them and not so worried about why their not playing shows.

Good point, I think we need to do that. Just to make sure everyone's agreed on the goals.

• Members

You are in for some fun and headachs, I have been there a few times, and I am also there again right now. I just got a new guitarist and drummer, I still need a bass player. Is it just me or is it nearly impossible to find a good dependable drummer.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

You are in for some fun and headachs, I have been there a few times, and I am also there again right now. I just got a new guitarist and drummer, I still need a bass player. Is it just me or is it nearly impossible to find a good dependable drummer.

I hear ya. I pretty much know what I'm doing, this thread was more because I was bored. But yeah, it's tough to find the right people. You want them right away, but it's something that takes time.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Good Luck Mang!!!!

You seem pretty connected with the local scene and players in your area. Are you starting from scratch with people you don't know or are you cherry picking people you've wanted to play with for a while?

A little of both. We're still auditioning bassists right now. But the drummer is someone I think is the best drummer in the area and I've been wanting to start a band like this with him for a while, even though I've been in other bands with him. And the other guitarist/singer is another person I've been wanting to start a band with for some time. I'm pretty psyched.

The drummer is who I'm worried about. I've known him for years and he's not the most motivated person in the world. I'd hate to find someone else because he's really good, but it may come to that if he stays unmotivated.

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

A little of both. We're still auditioning bassists right now. But the drummer is someone I think is the best drummer in the area and I've been wanting to start a band like this with him for a while, even though I've been in other bands with him. And the other guitarist/singer is another person I've been wanting to start a band with for some time. I'm pretty psyched.

The drummer is who I'm worried about. I've known him for years and he's not the most motivated person in the world. I'd hate to find someone else because he's really good, but it may come to that if he stays unmotivated.

Don't you play drums?!?! And Bass!?!?! What are you playing now?:confused:

Damn multi instrumentalists:mad: :D

The band I'm currently playing in was a side project for me and our bass player. We both played in competing cover bands and always thought it would be cool to play in a band together. So we formed this side cover band that would only play the songs that our other bands wouldn't play. Alot of B-sides and stuff. Just some summertime dates. We knew the singer, but we auditioned the drummer. Holy crap!!! We went through a bunch of crazy players. I think it taught us.... if you really don't know of them, there is a reason why. Eventually we scrapped auditions and borrowed a drummer from another band. Eventually I left when I could juggle two bands at the same time and they continuted on. After my main gig broke up I came back into the fold.

I'm sure there are always great players out there who you don't know of... but it's really hard to find one with the ability, musicianship and mind set to work with others and help put on a really good show.

• Members

Haha, yeah, I'm singing and playing guitar in this one. I can't seem to stick with one instrument for long enough to actually be what people would call "good" at it.

On a side-note SideShow, my cover band, is getting back together this weekend and are planning some shows so that should at least be simple and easy and balance out the headaches involved here.

Archived