Is it true they really did shut down CBGBs?

Edward

• Members

Let's face it, it's *just business*. And they owed back-rent or taxes, or something like that. Manhattan landlords can only suffer so much exposure.

Besides, like the Cavern in Liverpool that was razed and re-built as a tourist attraction, it could resurface somewhere else in Manhattan where tourists feel safer, unlike the Bowery.

• Members

I was in NYC in 1997 doing the tourist thing and went to CBGB just to check it out. It was about 11pm on a Saturday, had to pay $6 or $7 just to get in, supposedly there was going to be a band starting up. Walked around, no band, nobody there. Nothing much to see, really. Felt ripped off, door guy didn't care wouldn't give us our $$ back. We went somewhere else.

If my experience was anything but an exception, they got what they deserved.

• Members

The Bowery had levelled out by the early 90's. I never had a problem in that area, and I did a lot of bar-hopping and artsy music and theater stuff in that area through the mid-90's.

There were plenty of late evenings I was the scariest thing on the street.

• Members

In houston they just shut down a place called Mary Janes/Fat Cats that was a real cool little place where metal bands and tons of other experimental type bands played...along with other types but I will miss it for the metal bands. Cryptopsy was gonna play there in October, so I hope they still play here at a different venue.

• Members

I thought I had read that the owner of the place was an organization that fed/housed the poor and that besides the back taxes issue(some kind of accounting error?) they also needed the extra space?

I'll see if I can find the article to make sure I'm not imagining things ...

Found part of it here

The eviction notice was served Wednesday evening. The building landlord, the nonprofit homeless advocacy group the Bowery Resident's Committee, reiterated its call for CBGB's to "vacate the premises both voluntarily and expeditiously."

BRC executive director Muzzy Rosenblatt confirmed the eviction notice was served, but declined to comment further.

Just hours before the lease expired at midnight on Aug. 31, the BRC announced it would not renew the club's lease after a five-year fight over the monthly $19,000 rent. The BRC, which holds a 45-year lease on the building, houses 250 homeless people above the club. CBGB is its lone commercial tenant.

• Members

Yeah, that was about it - it was a row between Hilly and the charity. IIRC, Hilly and a lot of folks were of the opinion that a lot of the complaints the Charity had were trumped up because they were looking for a reason not to renew the lease.

Of course it'd be good if the club reopened anywhere (though preferably as the real club, not years later as a tourist trap that was nothing more than a same-name cash-in, which is what happened with the Cavern), but I'd have preferred the original site. I can't claim long experience of NYC, but i was there in February 2004 and visited the Bowery area both during the day and fairly late at night, and never felt at all unsafe. Actually, it was really nice to get out of the touristy areas of inner Manhattan - I much preferred the Bowery, along with 8th Street, and Greenwich Village, over anything Times Square, Central Park and that whole area had to offer. I wouldn't have wandered the Bowery late on my own, but I wouldn't wander too far from my base in *any* strange city at night.

If ever i have the money for a foreign second home, New York is top of my hit list, alongside Berlin.

Archived