here's a dilema for y'all

50calexplorer

• Members

Well me and my brother have finally found a some other dudes to jam wih here in Wisconsin (I'm a bassist and he's a guitarist). Well we've been playing with this band (guitarist and kick-ass drummer) but no singer yet as he is finishing up colleg until this winter. Anywho, us musicians have a really cool chemistry for originals, think old school Emo + KillSwitch Engage + Down/Corrosion of Conformity. Well we have heard this 'singer's previous outing with these two and he couldn't carry a tune with two hands and a bucket, and the songs that he 'wrote' were fo rthe most part unmaginitive and lame. Here is the dilema, the 'singer' and the guitarist are brothers. Me and my brother have been frineds with a singer that would but this guy to shame for some time and he would be ready to go at a moments notice. What to do?

• Members

this is your band dude... music you're writing that you are attaching your name to... you can't get somebody in on a band just cuz they are a cool person, or you'd feel bad turning them down

look at this as your art, you have to pick and choose who you want to handle it with a lot of prejudice

of course this is all dependent on your priorities and goals, if you're lookin for jamming buddies, then do what ever is most fun, but if you're looking to take it very seriously and gig regularly, then you really have to take these things into account

• Members

Originally posted by THB

Bring your friend on an "interim" basis, and when the others hear how much better he is they'll take care of it for you.

:cool:

Either that or get your band on Rockstar. Mig and Marty are still available. My choice would be Suzie. :D

Kidding aside, I agree with THB.

• Members

The "interum" thing could work. Or, you could also be completely upfront about it to the guys. Tell them you like what you're doing, but have some doubts about the singer. Give them honest critique, if possible, not just: that guys sucks. Suggest vocal lessons or make suggestions that you and your bandmates can help him with. The best thing I ever did was learn how to take critique and criticism. Besides, is it possible that he's been working on it by himself, anyway? Give the guy a chance to improve...or at least to make an honest effort to improve.

Archived