Your latest press?

Brian Krashpad

• Members

Originally posted by zookie

Media whore that I am, here's a link to an article that ran this summer in a small Ohio newspaper during our recent "tour" there:

Cool, that's what I'm talkin bout!

Btw, I went to your website, around 1990 or so my wife and I (along with my folks) also went to Ireland. Looks like your itinerary was close to ours-- Moher, Dingle, Killarney, Blarney.

Alas we didn't have time to get to Dublin's fair city. A good time was had by all though. Wonderful places and people.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Btw, I went to your website, around 1990 or so my wife and I (along with my folks) also went to Ireland. Looks like your itinerary was close to ours-- Moher, Dingle, Killarney, Blarney.

Wonderful places and people.

My better half took that trip from Dublin through the southern counties as part of a pub and music tour. Was invited to sing at a couple of the pubs they visited. She said it's a tough place to leave.

She was kind enough to bring me a low D whistle when she returned.

• Members

Wonderful places and people.

My better half took that trip from Dublin through the southern counties as part of a pub and music tour. Was invited to sing at a couple of the pubs they visited. She said it's a tough place to leave.

• Members

Originally posted by zookie

I'd go back in a minute if I could. Unfortunately, though we went to many pubs it was never on a "music night," because I love that Celtic traditional music.

Since we live in Florida we've been exploring the Caribbean on a couple little cruises over the last couple years. Much more affordable given our location. Though I've lived here since the 70's I'd never been to any of the islands or Mexico until recently.

Western Caribbean coming up in December.

BK

• Members

We just had our first studio album reviewed along with an interview.

check it out here at www.spacejunkies.net

In the interview section, look for the band GROUND LEVEL and read our exciting interview.

In the Reviews section, once again it's under GROUND LEVEL.....fairly decent review of our first album, if I do say so myself. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Guitar Guru

We just had our first studio album reviewed along with an interview.

check it out here at
www.spacejunkies.net

In the interview section, look for the band GROUND LEVEL and read our exciting interview.

In the Reviews section, once again it's under GROUND LEVEL.....fairly decent review of our first album, if I do say so myself.
:)

Too many steps there, here's the review:

"GROUND LEVEL a dynamic hard rocking trio from the Toronto region of Ontario, Canada brings to us a heavy riff loaded album, induced with some potent lyrical content.

The energy on this album is fierce, almost encapsulating what a live performance would be like on tape. Though, I wouldn't know since I've never seen GROUND LEVEL live, but I have an imagination and if anything, this band's music could be used to potentially start a riot or something of the nature. The music is moving, with various time changes and can go from loud to soft to brash to mellow all within a few minutes time. I love the ever changing dynamics this album provides, it's so nice to hear in this style of Hard Rock/Metal music that is more often than not very repetitive (to me at least). You can't accuse GROUND LEVEL of being repetitive for the only noticeable elements that carry over from song to song are the vocals and the general heaviness of the music. I'll definitely have to catch these guys live and keep my eyes out for their next release, I have a feeling they'll be one of my new favorite local bands! [Wednesday Elektra]"

Will post the interview too if it's not too long.

BK

• Members

Sorry Brian.....I should have just posted the actual review.

In any case, here's another one:

Scene Magazine - August 4, 2005

It's always a challenge to review CDs out of the scope of my usual listening and Toronto's GROUND LEVEL certainly qualifies. Industrial metal is not exactly my forte, (bit more of a sunshine pop lad I am) but I will proceed.

GROUND LEVEL's 'Trustfire' reminds me a bit of Tool and Metallica with fine chugging guitar work. And yes, I understood the vocals and the songs have hooks. These fellow have been taken under the wing of Canadian metal icon THOR, touring with him and appearing on the soundtrack to his new movie, INTERCESSOR.

A fine, hard-rocking debut.

- Dave Clarke, Scene Magazine

• Members

Sorry Brian.....I should have just posted the actual review.

No apology necessary! I just know some folks is lazy, is all. ;)

In any case, here's another one:

Scene Magazine - August 4, 2005

It's always a challenge to review CDs out of the scope of my usual listening and Toronto's GROUND LEVEL certainly qualifies. Industrial metal is not exactly my forte, (bit more of a sunshine pop lad I am) but I will proceed.

GROUND LEVEL's 'Trustfire' reminds me a bit of Tool and Metallica with fine chugging guitar work. And yes, I understood the vocals and the songs have hooks. These fellow have been taken under the wing of Canadian metal icon THOR, touring with him and appearing on the soundtrack to his new movie, INTERCESSOR.

A fine, hard-rocking debut.

- Dave Clarke, Scene Magazine

Woo-hoo, THOR!

He recently came through on tour but I'm not a metal guy. Is he a little toungue-in-cheek or dead serious?

BK

• Members

No apology necessary! I just know some folks is lazy, is all.
;)

Woo-hoo, THOR!

He recently came through on tour but I'm not a metal guy. Is he a little toungue-in-cheek or dead serious?

BK

Honestly man, this was the most fun tour ever. THOR is beyond amazing live......definitely not serious about his persona, it's all tongue in cheek. He is serious however about putting on a show......an amazing entertainer first and foremost.

I became a fan simply from the live shows throughout our tour with him. He really knows how to work a crowd. And his songs are all rock tunes with great anthemic choruses.....you just find yourself howling along with him to the tunes.

His touring band was awesome too.....great players....no egos whatsoever from anyone in the THOR camp. If you ever get the chance to go see him, take it.....it's worth it.

• Members

Honestly man, this was the most fun tour ever. THOR is beyond amazing live......definitely not serious about his persona, it's all tongue in cheek. He is serious however about putting on a show......an amazing entertainer first and foremost.

I became a fan simply from the live shows throughout our tour with him. He really knows how to work a crowd. And his songs are all rock tunes with great anthemic choruses.....you just find yourself howling along with him to the tunes.

His touring band was awesome too.....great players....no egos whatsoever from anyone in the THOR camp. If you ever get the chance to go see him, take it.....it's worth it.

Wow, that sounds excellent. I love people who understand the showmanship angle of a rock performance.

I'd kill to tour.

:(

Maybe some day...

BK

• Members

Wow, that sounds excellent. I love people who understand the showmanship angle of a rock performance.

I'd kill to tour.

:(

Maybe some day...

BK

It was nice touring....even though it was short, we lived each day to the fullest.

Honestly, nothing felt better than waking up each morning knowing that your whole job that day consisted of getting to the gig to play a show. Nothing else.

That is freedom my friends.

• Members

It was nice touring....even though it was short, we lived each day to the fullest.

Honestly, nothing felt better than waking up each morning knowing that your whole job that day consisted of getting to the gig to play a show. Nothing else.

That is freedom my friends.

Yeah, I dream of that. I have done little out-of-town 2-night stands where for 36 to 48 hours I felt like that. I'd love to just do a little regional thing for 5 or 6 days sometime.

Now I've been good long enough and I'll post a mention I got in yesterday's UF student newspaper, about 3/4 of the way down:

Band battle evolves, shakes up competition

By WILL KENNETH

Avenue Contributing Writer

While Gainesville bands are typically supportive of each other, maybe it is a good thing to shake things up once in a while.

A battle of the bands will be presented by the Gainesville Sun along with the Buzz radio station starting with the first show at Common Grounds this Wednesday.

While this may be the second attempt for the Sun at a battle of the bands event, it is not sophomore territory for the city of Gainesville. Santa Fe Community College has been hosting their own battle of the bands for a few years. Even WRUF Rock 104 has tried its hand at the format in the past.

It was one of the initial ideas that Rock 104 had to promote local music artists. They stopped holding the events after encountering problems with disgruntled bands and fans alike.

"We thought it would be good fun," said Brian Walker, account executive of WRUF. "What we found was that it was a lot better to do it in a non-competitive format."

After the winner was announced one year, a band member approached Walker and explicitly asked him why his did not win. "The bottom line was that after the second time we had three finalists that all deserved to win," Walker said. "And who's to say they didn't?"

While a few bands might stomp their feet in protest, bands acting unprofessionally is nothing new. Everyone involved this year expressed that they want to keep those kind of problems to a bare minimum, which is wise considering there were a few oversights from last year that have been resolved as well.

Most notably, the finalists had to win a series of online qualifiers where fans were allowed to vote multiple times in order for the bands to advance to the final round at the Alachua County Fair. Although this year judges are deciding the outcome, the previous competition became an exercise in dexterity as some acts amassed upwards of 10,000 votes.

"I could tell every day when the Fort White High School school bus dropped off the kids" said Brian Kruger, guitarist for Crash Pad, in a recent Gainesvillebands.com forum post. "A certain band's score would go through the roof," he said. "Those little [expletive] creamed us."

Although Kruger jests at the idea of his band being beaten by a band much younger than his, there was no real animosity between them.

"I wish I started playing as early as they did," he said.

Jason Rockhill, co-owner of Common Grounds, seemed to like the idea of an underdog winning the upcoming battle. "If someone gets robbed at the last minute, that's almost better because all this crazy [expletive] happens," Rockhill said. "A little controversy isn't so bad. Anyone can win."

BK

• Members

......Hope this isn't too long.... it was published Jun 17.

This Medford-based band is all about the fun of playing

rock 'n' roll.

By Greg Frederick

For the Mail Tribune

Masters of the Obvious is a Medford-based band

featuring drummer Derek Morton, guitarist and vocalist Cliff Simonsen, Frank Perdue on bass, and Gary Hink on guitar.

The band formed in 2003 and has developed a strong following of fans at local clubs. Borne out of Medford's jam session scene, the Masters of the Obvious' members share diverse musical backgrounds in classic rock, bluegrass and

country that is manifest in a Southern rock style that would

make Charlie Daniels proud. Their song list includes work

by Johnny Winter, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Delbert

McClinton and other classic rock artists.

These boys are all about the fun of playing rock 'n' roll.

"The rowdier the crowd, the better we play," Morton says.

"We like it when the people get up and dance, that way we

know we have made a connection."

When asked about the group's success, the members will tell

you that none of them expected things would turn out as well as

they have. .

In the tradition of great Southern rock bands like the

Allman Brothers and Marshall Tucker Band, this group started

as a trio and continues to grow. The Masters of the Obvious

now boasts two guitarists, Hink and Simonsen, trading off licks

and playing double leads, and a rhythm section built on the backbeat of Morton and solid bass playing of Perdue.

The night I heard the band they were appearing at one of

their regular haunts, The Hungry Woodsman Restaurant.

The club has one of the best stages and dance floors in the

area. "Road House" was playing on

the large screen TV,and there were plenty of buckles and hats

to complete the look. It took no time at all for the

line dancers to hit the floor moving to the band's cover of ZZ

Top's "Sharp Dressed Man." The combination of the "road

house" atmosphere and the good, old rock'n'roll set the

stage for a fun night. Masters of the Obvious

perform regularly at clubs in the Rogue Valley. The band will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 18, at Triple

Tree Restaurant, 4999 Highway 234, Central Point.

• Members

Originally posted by Body Bomb

Fifth paragraph down.

We're the first review.

Small world.

Dan Halligan is an online bud of mine, known him for years though we've never met in real life.

Last I heard Tablet was tits up though.

And the second review is right next to a Grabass Charlestons review. They're from Gainesville (my town) and their guitarist PJ used to play bass in my band.

BK

• Members

Couple of reviews of Empty Pockets:

Reviews

This is my favorite bit:

"The cultural soil that made the blues great has all been plowed down to sterile ground and eroded away down the long Mississippi. So the challenge for a band like Cherri and the Violators is to reinvent the blues and bring something fresh to the table. Happily, even triumphantly, the band has done just that on an album that manages to be both experimental in its reach while saying something new. The Benzie/Manistee County-based band labels their music

• Members

Originally posted by cherri

This is my other favorite bit:

"Lead vocalist Cheryl Bendig delivers the songs in a voice that has the raw power of Janis Joplin but the finesse of Ann Wilson."

On garageband.com my vocals have been compared to Donald Duck.

I {censored} you not.

I went back to look for a link but I guess the tracks were too old and had been taken down.

BK

• Members

On garageband.com my vocals have been compared to Donald Duck.

I {censored} you not.

I went back to look for a link but I guess the tracks were too old and had been taken down.

BK

Those guys are pretty brutal on that site. They will rip apart any flaws that they can find or create. That could be good and it could just be annoying. Check out some of the reviews we have gotten at that site here:

garageband.com/cheapsedatedhams

Here is also a recent review in a weekly music publication of the tri-state area, mostly NJ called The Aquarian. A cool magazine but not the best reviewer. Most of the facts in the add are totally inaccurate:

Shore World- Cheap Sedated Hams

Archived