Anyone ever joined a working band using local classified ad's?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I guess my point of this thread wasn't to point out that using classified ads was a desperate act. It's not and can be a great way to find other musicians with similar interests. However given that, I see a large number of classified ads (locally) from musicians looking to form or join bands with the purpose of gigging regularly without ever stepping foot in a local club, seeing other local musicians perform or even playing live in the first place. When I got involved in the local music scene... "I got involved". I went out, saw five or six different bands, introduced myself to other musicians, networked alot. Finding a good band is alot like finding a job... you never know how the interview will go unless you know something about the company you are working for.

• Members

I Teach guitar and I am currently looking for competent ,non adolecent(thinking) older musicians to jam with and hopfully form a band. A guy answered an ad to play drums and said he had extrordinary talents(Neil Pert,Tommy Aldridge,John Bohnamm abilities)....any way we talked about what we wanted in people we play with, our influences,our goals,level of musicianship expected and direction. He comes over,he looked like 300 pounds of chewed bubble gum,smelled like he didn't shower/bathe since Ronald Reagan was president and couldn't stand long and had to lean against a wall.:freak: ...any way I helped set up his drums, we launch in to "Over the Mountain" by Ozzy,he was out of time, out of breath half way throu the song,sweat pouring out of him.His skin was peeling so bad,he looked like peeling union(smelled like.....) (from the dirt on his body)and when we were done he looked like he was goint to die right there:eek:,then we jumped into another cover, "Satch Boogie" by Joe Satriani,by then he was passed out and I was about to call an ambulance and he gets up and I told him that the jam was over with and he didn't want to go to the hospital.I was scared:freak: ,what if he died?,any way,I told him later I couldn't play with him because of the incident. Another time I auditioned a Bass player and Drummer,both with Attention Deficit Disorder:eek: ......let's just say it was like a musical version of the Monty Python skit of "The race for people with no sence of Direction".:rolleyes: Oh well, I guess that's what I get for playing with people from the local music ads............names and places have been kept confidencial to protect the incompetent and dillusional........any similarities will only get my sympathies and pity:confused: :eek::confused::eek:

• Members
Originally posted by AJ6stringsting

I Teach guitar and I am currently looking for competent ,non adolecent(thinking) older musicians to jam with and hopfully form a band. A guy answered an ad to play drums and said he had extrordinary talents(Neil Pert,Tommy Aldridge,John Bohnamm abilities)....any way we talked about what we wanted in people we play with, our influences,our goals,level of musicianship expected and direction. He comes over,he looked like 300 pounds of chewed bubble gum,smelled like he didn't shower/bathe since Ronald Reagan was president and couldn't stand long and had to lean against a wall.
:freak:
...any way I helped set up his drums, we launch in to "Over the Mountain" by Ozzy,he was out of time, out of breath half way throu the song,sweat pouring out of him.His skin was peeling so bad,he looked like peeling union(smelled like.....) (from the dirt on his body)and when we were done he looked like he was goint to die right there:eek:,then we jumped into another cover, "Satch Boogie" by Joe Satriani,by then he was passed out and I was about to call an ambulance and he gets up and I told him that the jam was over with and he didn't want to go to the hospital.I was scared:freak: ,what if he died?,any way,I told him later I couldn't play with him because of the incident. Another time I auditioned a Bass player and Drummer,both with Attention Deficit Disorder:eek: ......let's just say it was like a musical version of the Monty Python skit of "The race for people with no sence of Direction".
:rolleyes:
Oh well, I guess that's what I get for playing with people from the local music ads............names and places have been kept confidencial to protect the incompetent and dillusional........any similarities will only get my sympathies and pity:confused:
:eek::confused::eek:

I love Python, and that's a great analogy. The next time I'm in a situation where nobody's playing together, I'm going to use that. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

After reading this thread, I was a little surprised to see so many folks mention that bass players are so hard to find. I'm a bass player, but have started playing rhythm for the past few years and now trying to get some lead chops down. I always figured a rhythm/occasional lead player would be more sought-after than a bassist.

I should mention that it's been many years since I've been in a working band, but have been thinking about jumping back in.

Var

• Members

I got a call from some guys from my age group and similar intrests. I hope it isn't the same kind of crap ,I've been running in to in Fresno California:eek: :rolleyes: ,....it's so hard to find good musicians here who know how to really play.Fresno has so many Meth users, When I was in my last band ,we did a cover of "Patients" from Guns n Roses,that we had to duck from all the flying teeth from people doing the whistling intro....If you do that cover in Fresno ,wear goggles to protect your eyes:eek: :idea::thu:

Archived