OT: Help me buy a musician a gift

BndGrl

• Members

A very close friend of mine has a birthday coming up soon and I'd like to buy him something special. He's a guitar player as well as a singer.

Here's the catch...he's married and although we are honestly just friends (really,) I don't think his wife would like him bringing home gifts from other women.

So I thought I'd buy him something musically related that he can put with the rest of his gig gear that his wife will probably not even notice it's existence because she doesn't come to many shows.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? And no before you say it, I'm not buying him a new guitar, amp or anything else that is on your wish list. ;)

• Members

Hmmm, honestly haven't really thought about the cost yet more worried about just getting some options I guess. I'm gonna say less than $50...preferably as less as possible and still be able to get something decent. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by BndGrl

A very close friend of mine has a birthday coming up soon and I'd like to buy him something special. He's a guitar player as well as a singer.

Here's the catch...he's married and although we are honestly just friends (really,) I don't think his wife would like him bringing home gifts from other women.

So I thought I'd buy him something musically related that he can put with the rest of his gig gear that his wife will probably not even notice it's existence because she doesn't come to many shows.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? And no before you say it, I'm not buying him a new guitar, amp or anything else that is on your wish list.
;)

Do you think he'd buy you a gift on your bday? Sounds kinda weird that you'd want to spend $50 on someone who's wife would be mad at you for doing so.

• Members

Originally posted by EugeneBr

a nice guitar strap, unless he has one. They make them pretty cool these days and unless he's really well-off, he'd never buy one for himself - rather spend the cash on a super-duper new singlecoiledubblebucker or sth.

My first thought...go to a leathersmith and have a really nice hand-tooled leather strap made for him, perhaps with his name on it!

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

Do you think he'd buy you a gift on your bday? Sounds kinda weird that you'd want to spend $50 on someone who's wife would be mad at you for doing so.

Adding guile and deception to the gift-giving seems a nice way to make all this more....complicated.

You're safe getting something that he and his wife can enjoy, like a bottle of wine.

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

Yea actually he would, he's all ready bought me something very expensive and it wasn't my birthday:D

• Members

Originally posted by zookie

Adding guile and deception to the gift-giving seems a nice way to make all this more....complicated.

You're safe getting something that he and his wife can enjoy, like a bottle of wine.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Here's the thing, and I'm not saying bndgrl is like this at all, but she could come off looking like this in this situation: I know a few girls that follow bands around and tend to be real flirty with the members. It's plainly obvious that they want to be with the band members except that the band members have wives/girlfriends, and it's clear that they do everything they can for the band members in hopes that either they will leave their wife/girlfriend for them or if they do break up with them, they see that this girl is the next best thing for them. The girls come off looking very desperate. Like I said, you're probably not like that, but I'm sure you don't want to look like that either. Unless you and this person routinely buy each other bday gifts, I'd say it's best to leave this alone.

• Members

Originally posted by EugeneBr

It's based on mixing vodka with beer, but I don't recommend this as a birthday gift unless you know what you're doing.
;)

:D

I didn't realize you could be in deathmetal and be old enough to buy beer? I guess I'll need teh fake id.

:p

Archived