Recording a demo CD

Crusher

• Members

Hey,

My band has about 4 or 5 songs done. We would like to record them onto a CD for a "demo CD" to give to fans, promo's, etc. Cost is an issue, so we would like to do this ourselves instead of renting a studio if we can get the quality almost the same.

Is there a good and easy to use software package or equipment that we can use to acheive this? I'm sure there is, but I'm curious to know what you guys use.

Thanks!

• Members

We used Cool Edit Pro for our demo:

myspace.com/mostlyharmlessmusic

It was recorded on a laptop with 2 mic's (a cheapo Superlux condenser mic and a Shure SM58) and a small behringer mixer. I don't think it's possible to record a demo with cheaper/less gear if you want a decent sounding demo....

Hope this helps....

• Members

Do you have any sort of experience with and knowledge of recording?

What kind of current gear do you have? Mics, comps, eq's, etc.

If you don't have any gear, you'll probably have to end up renting some stuff. Or you could try recording without all that stuff...

If you don't have the tools or the know how, I don't think it will be worth your time and effort to DIY. You may or may not save a little cash, but chances are you'll end up with an inferior product.

If you want something halfway decent sounding I say do whatever you can to save up for some studio and just practice and prepare your BUTTS off before going in so you can maximize your time. You'll get a better sounding product and you'll be better rehearsed as a group. Practice with a click, make sure your transitions are tight, come up with and practice your vocal harmonies ahead of time, etc. etc.

You could probably find some places for $25 an hour that will at least have the right tools, and a good chunk of know-how. It probably won't be spectacular, but it will be lightyears ahead of what you could accomplish, if you in fact do not have the gear or knowledge.

If you practice your butts off, you could shoot to track the drums, guitars and bass all at once, then just add the vocals and any effects and you're just about set.

With 4 or 5 songs, you should be able to tackle that in a weekend. Also, just because you have 4 or 5 songs ready, you might be stretching yourself thin if you insist on getting all those recorded. IMO, if you can record 3 songs well - both soundwise and performance wise - that is much better than recording 5 songs that you and the engineer rush to complete. So you might consider picking the strongest 3 of the 5 and focusing on those for the demo.

If you do have recording knowledge and other gear, then go for it. But me thinks if money's tight then you're not going to find the most stellar recording software either. In that case, I think the money is better spent on a studio.

• Members

Thanks guys! This is why I asked, great info....I appreciate it! I will discuss both options with the rest of the band on Friday. None of us have actual recording experience or equipment, so it may be best to go the Studio route.

• Members

Unless you're a junior engineer on your own you'll spend countless hours just trying to get a decent sound out of each instrument, never mind the tracking and mixing.

If you've got lots of time and want to learn, then by all means. Otherwise as said before there are many studios where you can get off fairly cheap and come out with a product much better than you could ever do on your own.

Time is money too! Is it better to spend a few hundred and a few hours or next to nothing but hours and days on end?

• Members

First off, I disagree with comments like "get a mic and some pirated software"..

You can buy inexpensive multitrack software for well under a hundred dollars that will fit your needs. No need to steal it..

Second, you don't talk about your band needs.. Do you have a drum kit? Multiple guitars, multiple singers, horns, bass, etc?

You might be better served going to a local studio to get a demo, but when you get there, pay real close attention and learn everything you can.

I built my first studio in 1972 after spending way too many hours and too many years in someone else's studio getting a product I never liked. But the learning curve can be high and the expense will surprise you if you just set out on your own.

• Members

Be a musician, wear the musician's hat.

Go to a studio, and let the engineer wear the engineer's hat.

You're a musician, not a recording engineer. A recording engineer, in this modern setting, is really a computer geek in disguise.

Use your money for studio time and quality music gear, and your time for perfecting your songs.

Good luck in the studio.

:thu:

• Members

I tried the self recording route. Frankly, the learning curve was just too steep, not to mention the investment in hardware and software.

We found a local guy with a great studio http://www.denmarkproductions.com/ who was exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful. His studio was full of more recording gear and instruments/amps than mere mortals could ever afford.

We managed to lay down four songs that IMHO sound damn good, for about $500 Canadian. That price included mixdown and a labelled master CD. I reproduce the demos on my PC using Lightscribe labelling to give them a more professional look.

The whole experience was very educational - especially for the bass player who was introduced to his nemesis "Mr. Click Track":D

Archived