Giving a Great Perfomance

Satanic Smurf

• Members

Aside from the musical aspect, what do you think makes a good performance/performer?

I'm looking for tips/comments. For example: How important do you think it is to speak to the audience? How should you structure the songs in your set list so that your performance is dynamic and interesting? What the hell do you do with your hands if you're singing and not holding an instrument at the same time?

• Members

Originally posted by Satanic Smurf

What the hell do you do with your hands if you're singing and not holding an instrument at the same time?

Put your hands in the air... and way 'em like you just don't care. :rolleyes:

Speaking to the audience is key, I think. The more you interact with them the better they will like the show. But it can't be corny crap that sound scripted or is used all the time. If you can't think of something interesting and original to say, I wouldn't say much. But always thanking the crowd and maybe some anticdotes about songs would be good.

• Members

To me the number one key is to relax. Have some fun doing what you do and take the audience along with you. Play off them, what they say, what they request, what they're wearing, what they're drinking etc. Make them a part of the show and they'll have a better time, spend more money and you'll get hired back as a result.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Redsand187

If you can't think of something interesting and original to say, I wouldn't say much. But always thanking the crowd and maybe some anticdotes about songs would be good.

That seems to be my main problem, thinking of something original and interesting to say. I play with a lot a different tunings but unfortunately not a lot of guitars. Trying to think of something to say while tuning is rather difficult. But I think that you're right that talking to the crowd is the key. I think that it helps them connect to you.

Some people have told me to look at the audience more but it feels sort of weird staring at someone. Also I can sing with my eyes open, I can play with my eyes open but for some strange reason, if I try to sing and play, I gotta close my eyes :confused:

• Members

It sounds corny but practice in front of a mirror if you have troubles. You'll be surprised how you look.

I use alot of different tunings too, and you have to get fast at tuning. If you don't own a tuner get one soon. I love my boss TU2.

And as for talking to the crowd

#1. Have something interesting to say, if you don't, just smile.

#2. Make sure they can hear your speaking voice, nothing is more uncomfortable than to hear someone ramble on when you can't understand a word they say. When in doubt.... be humble and smile.....

• Members

We had a really good gig this weekend. One of the things that made it work was the singer was personalizing the songs. For example, we played Brown Eyed Girl (I know, shoot me. Let me die a slow painful death), and he changed the words to Green Eyed Girl because of the girl standing in front of him. He did that on a couple of songs for other audience members. Makes them think they're getting their own show. He did some call and response type of stuff, where he'd sing a line, hold the mic in the audience and let them sing a line.

Getting the audience involved is key, at least at the level my band plays at, which is fairly popular cover band.

• Members

All the stuff that GCDEF gave you is good. It's also important to look good. That might be different, depending on your audience. A suit and tie might not look great on stage for a biker gathering, but leather pants and a bandana might not go over well at a corporate gig. Speak appropriately to your audience, and no matter if you're playing the Adult Video Awards or your cousin's high-school graduation, don't swear on stage.

What do you do with your hands? A lot of reaching out to audience members, waving, and dancing. The lead singer should be moving around, even if he/she only has a little personal space or there's no one on the dance floor. It endears them to the audience.

Don't just look at each other, no matter what member of the band you are. You should be doing something. Look at some of the most entertaining bands that play in your genre on DVD and see what they are doing. It might take flashy clothes, tight dance moves, and an ass you can crack an egg on to get the audience moving. It's not just about being a tight band, but about entertaining.

• Members

It's not as important what you do or say; it's how you feel on stage.

If you appear tense or uncomfortable, that will communicate itself throughout a room. If you take the stage with a bounce, smile and offer a friendly hello, then no one really minds if you close your eyes while you sing.

Structuring set lists makes us all feel better, but, other than general statements, it's largely only the people on stage who care. People mill about, they get into conversations, they step outside for a smoke, they use the loo, etc. Few people are really keeping track of your song ordering.

That said, listen to the room and adapted the set list accordingly. By that I mean experiment a little bit and pick up on what materials draws the most attention. If a lively group responds to a kind of song, play that kind several times. Get them on your side. Good will is infectious. If the room is buzzing with conversation, your introducing every song with a lengthy anecdote won't help.

• Members

I'd say a good structure would be something like this: (Of course, I assume your band is hard rock. If your band is more mellow or classical, then my post means nothing to you)

A fast rock song in the beginning to get everyone pumped up and then followed by a small intro. Well, it's always good to speak with the audience to create some sort of intimacy. Maybe crack a few jokes here and there; say how you're band was started and superficial stuff like that. After all that, it should be songs the rest of the way. The 2nd last song should be your best rock song, and if you have a softer song, I would put that last to settle things down. That's about it, but I recommend having your best songs in the beginning or end. It's called the recency effect. People tend to notice the songs in the beginning and end due to how their memory facilitates, so weeks later, they can still remember it.

This is the structure I prefer for my band. It's all subjective, but I'm sure anyway you put it would be great. Just go out there and rock like you never did before! And relax! Relaxation gets you more gigs. No one wants to see someone who's about to break down.

• Members

Performance, is the most overlooked, least 'teachable', yet MOST important part of PERFORMING. People want to have a good time and feel like they are part of the experience. You have to figure out how to engage them. It is an art. You can mimic your favorite performers until you find your own voice.

But musicians, especially guitar players, have this idea that if they execute their sweeping arpeggios perfectly, then they are entertainers.

That's called a recital, not a gig.

• Members

i agree with almost everthing that has been posted so far :thu:

my band is just an average rock cover band musically, but we have a great stage banter and a dynamic front man that can really work an audience. We talk between songs A LOT, cracking jokes, busting on each other and the audience, we even play sound effects/samples a'la the Howard Stern show that really gets the audience engaged and paying attention.

Always point out the hot chicks in the audience (even if they really aren't that hot), makes 'em feel special and more likely to dance and sing. And let me tell you, once you've got a dance floor full of dancing hot chicks, you've won!

Another great trick is to hand the mic to some nobody to warble through a verse or chorus of a song. They invariably sound horrible and it gets a good laugh from the rest of the audience.

We also swear a lot on stage. Nothing breaks the ice like a profane joke or filty comment that comes outta left field. WARNING: this is only appropriate in the smoky bars and clubs our band plays at. I wouldn't recommend it at a corporate gig or charity fundraiser.

we have a couple of other tricks that I won't mention here, and most bands wouldn't be willing to do

:rolleyes:

• Members

OK I have a tip of my own:

Never apologise to the audience. Things like "sorry, I'm playing really crap tonight," "I was hitting so many off notes," etc.

Most of the time the audience doesn't notice and other times they just don't care. I guess it ties in with what you guys were saying about looking like you're having fun (hopefully you are having fun). If you look pissed off and keep apologising for all the little mistakes you make, you don't give the perception of enjoyment.

• Members

"Never apologize" sounds like a good rule.

But that reminds me of a recent Joe Bonamassa show I saw. He was absolutely tearing it up and must have made some mistake (I did not notice any error) and he yells "FAWWK!" so loud, that it drowned out the instruments. The crowd all busted out laughing...it really seemed to draw them into the show a little bit.

Now, I'm not sure I'd suggest this as a routine response for every random clam, but it was kinda funny to see a real pro do it.

Var

(p.s., for those not familiar with Joe Bonamassa, he's really worth checking out.)

• Moderators

Originally posted by B Money

we have a couple of other tricks that I won't mention here, and most bands wouldn't be willing to do

:rolleyes:

Hey! I got arrested last time I took your advice and dropped my pants on stage! :mad:

I would probably have been OK if I had remembered to turn my back like you told me to. :(

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Hey! I got arrested last time I took your advice and dropped my pants on stage!
:mad:

I would probably have been OK if I had remembered to turn my back like you told me to.
:(

Terry D.

Any video of Bob Schneider with the Scabs anywhere? I'd LOVE to get my hands on some of that!

To me, he's the consummate frontman, only to be outdone by The Godfather.

• Members

I would rank vocal ability vs. stage presence as important as 65/35.

The lead singer in my band is an OK singer, but he makes up for any vocal ability shortcomings with his stage presence.

Everybody comments on how well he interacts with the audience.

Now there is a fine line of how much interaction there should be. You can't do it after every song. You have to bang three or four songs out in a row without stopping at times during a performance. Like anything, moderation is the key.

I agree thaqt you should practice in front of a mirror or you can get a few friends and family members together and practice in front of them to become more comfortable.

I have seen a number of very good singers that just stand there and sing to the floor or the ceiling. That can get very boring after a while.

Remember, you are in the entertainment industry.

Look at the band Kiss for an example. From a pure musical standpoint they are very average, but from a performance standpoint, they blew people away.

Now everday bands don't have the money and time to put on shows like Kiss does, but it''s a good example of how much the performance aspect can play into it.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Crustycabs

No, no.......I need full motion video, man! So I can cop some of his moves!!

:mad:

Surely SOMEONE has been to a Scabs show with a video camera!

I was up working in Antone's sound booth and I was lucky to have snuck my digital camera in for the shot. :o

But you know what's really dumb, now that I think about it? My camera shoots pretty good MPGs.

Doh! :o

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by Satanic Smurf

What the hell do you do with your hands if you're singing and not holding an instrument at the same time?

Be like Ian Curtis of Joy Division and make up a weird epileptic seizure dance. :thu:

Archived