Power problems

rim

• Members

So at our NYE gig, we tripped the breaker twice. After the first time, I moved some of our stuff to the outlet I thought the DJ was using (since he was still on). Turned out he was just using that for small lights and the outlet he was using was hidden from my view. After the second time, we found an outlet in the kitchen and used that instead.

I'd like to get your advice on what happened. We're usually fine plugged in the same circuit so this is the first time we've tripped a circuit. We tried to think what was different this time. Our sound person did say our PA was set higher in volume than before (before we it would be around 6 but this time it was at 8). We also miked the drum more using condensers so we used phantom power on the PA as well. The other thing different is I put the singer's guitar through a POD instead of just straight to the board (she only plays on one song). Would any/all of this increase the power we use?

We're gonna try to find different circuits to plug into from now on. :o

• Members

Most clubs aren't wired for live music. Most regular outlets are 15 amp, while GFI outlets (in bathrooms, laundry rooms, and kitchens) are 20 amp. You need 20 amps at least to run a band, and the stage ought to have at least two dedicated circuits. I never run the PA through the same circuit as the stage gear unless absolutely no other option is available.

If you're using extension cords, invest in a 50' 10 guage cord with a 4-gang outlet box to place onstage. The fatter the wire, the more power you will get over distance. If you have any extension cords smaller than 14 guage, get rid of them. My rule of thumb: 14 guage up to 25', 12 guage up to 50', 10 guage over 50' or if you're running multiple amps.

If the place you're playing doesn't have dedicated circuits to the stage (meaning they are only for the stage and don't have video machines, TVs and kitchen stuff plugged into them), suggest they put them in or ask them to supply a 10 guage cord to the stage plugged into a 20 amp line.

Oh, and also, if you're using power strips, most of them are made for 15 amp application and will trip if overloaded even when plugged into a 20 amp circuit. I prefer multiple outlet boxes over power strips.

• Members

In a lot of venues the stage wiring was an afterthought. They built the place and somewhere down the line they decided they wanted music, put in a stage and patched in the electric the cheapest way possible.

You never know what your going to run into. So before you panic, check your gear out elsewhere.

• Members

We used to have this problem as well. Recently I was looking in a bargain bin at Radio Shack and found a device for identifying circuits. You plug a small widget into an outlet, then go to the breaker panel or fuse box and wave a wand back and forth. When the wand senses which breaker the widget is plugged into, it lights up. Now you know which breakers are powering which outlets. (Don't you hate it when you find a breaker panel with anti-descriptive labels like "East" or "Old" or my favorite, "Do Not Use"?)

I think I paid 12 bucks for it. We've got a couple of gigs coming up where the building is old and we have "mystery power" at the stage, so I'm gonna test this thingie out.

• Members

Originally posted by caveman

In a lot of venues the stage wiring was an afterthought. They built the place and somewhere down the line they decided they wanted music, put in a stage and patched in the electric the cheapest way possible.

You never know what your going to run into. So before you panic, check your gear out elsewhere.

There's a couple clubs around here with that exact problem

• Members

Originally posted by hankypanky

Our bass player is a journeyman electrician...power and lights are the two things we never seem to have problems with
:)
Talent and sound...well, that's a different story altogether
:D

Your post freaked me out. I'm a bassist and a Journeyman. I thought you might be someone in my band. What are the odds?

There recently was another thread about power problems. If I can, I like to get three dedicated 20 amp circuits: one for the PA, one for the onstage stuff, and one for the lights. Sometimes, though, you have to take what's given. :(

• Members

Originally posted by rim

We're gonna try to find different circuits to plug into from now on.
:o

Make sure you bring a ground tester:

pRS1C-2265636w345.jpg

$5.99 at Radio Shack

A bad ground can be dangerous, especially if your amp is grounded and your PA is "floating" at 120.

I learned my lesson the hard way. BAM! :eek::o

Archived