Meeting Musicians

Redsand187

• Members

Well, I've got a odd question. There is a musician that I'd really like to meet. He's got a band that is successful, and independant. He's been a professional musician for years, that is his career.

I have a way of contacting him. (He's pretty open and has an open line of communication with the "public")But I don't really know what to say, to not sound like some crazy stocker fan.

Before you conclude, that I am some crazy stocker fan. The reason why I'd like to meet him, is because I completely get everything he is doing musically. He seems to be a really cool and smart person. Someone that I would like to work with, and be friends with. I'm a youngin' at 21, he's a "seasoned pro" in his mid 30's. I really believe that I need to surround myself with people that I would like to be like. He is one of those people I would like to be like on a professional and it appears a personal level.

He lives about 1200 miles away from me. But I will be visiting the area he lives in, in a couple months, I am thinking of relocating. So I figure it would be a good time to try at least meet him.

I am just looking at a safe way of approaching this without coming off all obsessive.

So what would you say to someone you admired? And what would you say if someone approached you seemingly random wanting to be your friend?

Now, this guy isn't some big name rock star, 99% or more of people on this site probably never have heard of him. But I'm sure most people have at least heard a piece of his work. So, I guess I've got that going for me.

• Members

I personally enjoy chatting casually with people after a performance. I certainly wouldn't mind if someone approached me and said they really enjoyed the show and offered glowing praise on my abilities.

One can dream at least.

As long as you understand not everyone's looking to collaborate with a younger and inexperienced musician and as long as you have a point in approaching this person and keep it short and to the point, I can't see any problem with introducing yourself and saying you're a supporter/fan/whatever.

It is nice to hear.

• Members

The word is "stalker", not "stocker".

Send him an email and introduce yourself. Tell him you like his music and that when you're in town you'll stop by and introduce yourself. We get calls or emails from people telling us they enjoyed what we did. Unless he's a superstar, he'll remember them. The part about wanting to be friends with him because you like his music does sound a bit creepy. I wouldn't bring that up in any kind of introduction. Just keep it casual.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

The word is "stalker", not "stocker".

Send him an email and introduce yourself. Tell him you like his music and that when you're in town you'll stop by and introduce yourself. We get calls or emails from people telling us they enjoyed what we did. Unless he's a superstar, he'll remember them. The part about wanting to be friends with him because you like his music does sound a bit creepy. I wouldn't bring that up in any kind of introduction. Just keep it casual.

It was late, I didn't proof read my post... sorry.

What makes it more complicated; I'm not really a musician. I'm a hobbyist, and don't plan on any more then that. Just from what I know about this guy, he is really cool. The music is just the very tip of it. Part of his whole success is his ability to do everything himself. He runs his own label, he books everything himself, he does all his promotion, he does everything, and he does it all on his terms.

I am not 100% sure what exactly I want to do, but I'm pretty sure I want to do something in the music industry. I'd love to be his friend, but it is more, I'd really like to hang out and just observe what him and his band does, and help where needed. Sort of an internship thing so to say.

It's just kind of complicated and off the wall.

• Members

Originally posted by Redsand187

I'd love to be his friend, but it is more, I'd really like to hang out and just observe what him and his band does, and help where needed. Sort of an internship thing so to say.

It may be the way you're phrasing it, but that sounds a little creepy. You've never even met the guy. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Redsand187

It was late, I didn't proof read my post... sorry.

What makes it more complicated; I'm not really a musician. I'm a hobbyist, and don't plan on any more then that. Just from what I know about this guy, he is really cool. The music is just the very tip of it. Part of his whole success is his ability to do everything himself. He runs his own label, he books everything himself, he does all his promotion, he does everything, and he does it all on his terms.

I am not 100% sure what exactly I want to do, but I'm pretty sure I want to do something in the music industry. I'd love to be his friend, but it is more, I'd really like to hang out and just observe what him and his band does, and help where needed. Sort of an internship thing so to say.

Seems that you more than just like him :love:

• Members

Originally posted by THBv2.0

Over the years I've made contact with a few musicians I've admired and they've been very receptive.

:cool:

Keep in mind it's their job to friendly and receptive.

As far as the musicians I've known and met, they are most appreciative of the fans who support them without imposing themselves on the band.

So my advice would be to go to the guy's shows and say hi, but don't talk to him for too long or ask stupid questions. Don't act like you have an agenda. Don't ask him to sign all kinds of stuff for you or "your niece." If you go to a lot of his shows and say hi, he'll remember you.

If you want to help where its needed, join the band's street team. Most street teams are full of sleeping members that don't do anything, and one or two guys who do all the work. Be one of those 2 guys.

If you're looking for an internship or a job in the music industry, I wouldn't go that route though. I would go to school. Internships in radio or product marketing are much easier to get than jobs at record companies, which are just bull{censored} anyhow. Being a roadie for a band is not really professional, resume-building work.

Archived