Do you OJ?

Jon Doe

• Members

Round here we have these things called Open Jams. The one I go to is on Tuesday nights. 30 - 50 musicians show up and a hunnert or so fans. Runs from 7 til midnight.

This is our alternative to having non band members at practice. We invite them to OJ night instead. It gives musicians a chance to frat with the fans and visa-versa.

This is a huge creativity incubator and has produced several new bands.

I sincerely recommend musicians try this. There ain't a gin joint with a stage that wouldn't relish the business on a weeknight.

• Members

We have one on Sundays at 4, blues-based. I'm having a blast at them, can walk in with a small keyboard amp and my Electro w/stand in one trip, no soundchecks, no &*#$^% lights, no rehearsals, just sit down and play blues. And ironically the club is packed to the gills! It is a great way to network too, I'm meeting a lot of cool musicians.

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

How many fans?
:confused:

nineynine plus 1

We have a signup sheet and someone usually tries to keep the thing semi-organised so we don't wind up with 5 drummers that want to try their hand at lead vocals if you know what I mean. (NTTAWWT:D)

The house pays for a soundman for the gig.

• Members

We did one of these a few weeks ago. We needed to audition for a club and the owner said come down and do it during the Tues Open Mic. Nothing like an audition played before a room full of musicians.

So it went over fairly well and the house band invited me to come down and sit in with them. That's kinda cool because you never know who'll they'll pair you up with on open mics. Sitting in with the house band though you bypass the pairings and this house band smokes!

I'd like to go sit in but playing on a Tues night's a bitch as far as getting up 4am next morning for work goes... :(

• Members

I used to host an open jam along with a few other area musicians. We originally hoped it would be a jazz jam but it always turned into a blues/rock jam. We got bored with it and stopped hosting. We now get together once a month or so at the drummers house. We invite a few local jazz musicians but it definitely is not open to anyone. We want to keep it jazz.

Archived