Rant/discussion on (lack of) support from friends and family.

cyberwolf

• Members

While I have to admit that I have experienced plenty of dissapointment from friends and family, I also have to ask what exactly you mean when you say support.

If you arent playing out then they cant go to shows, and it would be a little ridiculous to buy a tshirt or something...

Do you just want them to like your music? They might, or might not. Music is really subjective, and I usually have to listen to something a few times before I can really get enthusiastic. Its always weird when someone plays a track for me that they worte and recorded.

I do not expect any recognition or admiration from freinds or family.

• Members

I guess it comes down to how you define support.

Is it showing up to every show, buying every CD, buying equipment, financing the project, making connections, etc.?

Or is it merely putting up with you practicing in the basement for an hour or two while they are trying to watch tv upstairs?

There are many levels of support and some are more realistic than others.

• Members

what it basically comes down to ,, is that unless your family and friends play..... its basically just a spectator sport for them. You really cant expect them to get into it like you do. If your family is willing to host band practice ,, thats plenty of support. rat

• Members

Hey Prog, in reference to the Stamp Collecting point, well... I should've elaborated on the difference, that is, stamp collecting generally being a solitary hobby, whereas promoting one's art is ultimately a collective experience to a degree. Anyhow, yeah, I agree, I probably won't stop, but I'll definitely reinvest my time and money in other area's, realign my priorities and restructure or something, I haven't figured out yet! The times they are a changin' and not to the advantage of the working, independent musician/artist.

That said, I'm not after fame... otherwise there's a smarter, more lucrative manner and genre to work in. I'm after promoting and making a living off of my art, as almost any artist, would love to do. It's really that simple. It's not selling out, it's merely selling and giving people an enjoyable experience, and if one can profit off offering a professional, dignified (to me atleast, lol), then more power to them. No different than working a job one loves or any other occupation, really.

Of course, fame and making profit off one's wares are sometimes mutually exclusive. I don't neccesarilly think you need to have both to be productive or successful.

Hey Scott, I guess what I mean is for showing support is to actually show interest in one's artistic output, which, in my case, are my musical CD's. Please don't take this the wrong way as I mentioned in previous posts, but really, sure, showing some interest is a start. I'm not at the bitter stage yet, and I'm not enough (anymore) of an idealist where I believe everyone should and could buy a CD or follow my musical career with enthusiasm bordering on obsessive, but... well, I think you know what I'm saying.

I don't have demands regarding my music on others, including family or friends, nor lofty expectations, but I guess I do have something akin to pride. Yeah, pride is painful. ;-) Realistically, though, it's still painful, too.

• Members

Cyberwolf,

I just listened to some songs on your site... Because my first thought was "if this guy isn't getting any support, he probably simply sucks". ;)

But I was surprised. Your music reminds me very much of Ayreon. A very similar style, and Ayreon is also just one guy composing and recording at home. Do you know him? I wonder how he managed to get his music out there. I think he gigs occasionally, but that's not how he started.

Anyway, progressive ambient/metal is not a music style the average person is familiar with. So I wouldn't expect random family members to really understand or support it. It's a better idea to find support among fans of the genre...

• Members

Originally posted by cyberwolf

I'm after promoting and making a living off of my art, as almost any artist, would love to do.

Why don't you try and get some professional representation? An agency.

Myspace and hawking CDs to your friends is amatuer hour. The William Morris Agency, for example, is for pros. See what you can do to get a pro agent to start taking you seriously.

• Members

Originally posted by cyberwolf

Oh I wasn't looking for help - this certainly wasn't a occupational SOS or a preamble for a quest for therapy - but merely a forum for folks to offer their experiences and opinions. If they had any that were relevant, of course. ;-)

Relevancy is subjective.....:cool:

• Members

I don't think that anyone should be 'expected' to support or encourage your music just because they're family, or neighbors, etc, except maybe to express polite interest. My neighbors ask about my music, but never come to shows, and that's fine - that's not their deal.

I don't understand how your music can be a 'collective experience' if you don't have a band out performing music. I don't know ANYONE who has music listening parties.

It seems to me that finding people who can and will be truly interested in your music is difficult enough with a band to play the music and try to attract a crowd... but if you don't have a band, and are relying on friends and family, that's NEVER going to work. And it is not their fault, or problem.

Archived