honest opinions wanted

dankJ

• Members

With all due respect to Burningleaves, the singer trying to tell the guitar player his sound needs to change/sucks is a recipe for bad feelings. For the vast majority of we guitarists it's insulting to criticise our sound no matter how bad it is. :D

Another thing I'd suggest to help your singing is to make sure that "you can hear yourself clearly" . It's "extremely" hard to sing well if your voice is lost in the mix. I prefer a single ear monitor with nothing but vocals.

• Members

You asked for honest opinions so I'll try to be straight. I admit I only listened to the first half of your first song, but then again, people tend to make their mind up within the first half of the first song. People are giving you good advice, and I'm sure with practise/time the issues that have been highlighted could be resolved. However, you stated in your first post that you wanted to give music your best shot and my opinion would be, with this band and your singing/songwriting, you are not going to be able to make a career out of it no matter how much you practise. I'm not saying this to discourage you, just to give you a reality check. Start looking for another band and start listening to other types of music. Work on your songwriting, learn how to create harmony, counterpoint, etc. Master your instrument, both voice and guitar. The most important thing to have is good songs and a tight band - huge success won't ever be certain, but if you have a decent band and work damn hard you could make a living. Your voice is really the least of your worries - in fact, an individual sound such as your lisp could even be a selling point, who knows. As has been said, there's plenty of singers with unusual voices that are successes. I'd say it's rarer to hear someone with a totally perfect voice who has been very successful - it sounds a bit boring! From what I've heard, your songs are not particulalry ground breaking nor very tight - maybe you could do better I don't know - but I would think if you want to make it as an original band, you need to find a good singer/songwriter. And to make sure that they are interested in being in a band with you, you need to be the best guitarist/backing singer you can be. I'm not saying dump your current band, but without someone suddenly receiving the gift of good song-smithery, it aint gonna happen. Good luck...

Archived