We finally released our CD.. Advice needed

jrm27

• Members

Hey everyone:

After quite a lengthy process, we finally were able to release our cd last week. We're stoked.. it took longer than we thought... but we are stoked with the end result! Feel free to drop by our myspace and give some of the tunes a listen if you like (our myspace ). Critiques are always welcome. It is Christian rock, so if you are into that kind of music, please drop in!

Anyways... we need advice. How have you had success with selling cd's? We've already sold a good amount at shows, and some online too., but I tought I'd come seeking advice from the masters (or at least those that have gone before us). Any words of wisdom woudl be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone ever worked in distribution? What's the best way to approach that monster. Thanks!

-jon

• Members

Alright, nobody's replying to this so I'll tell you what I thought. I only listened to the first song that played. I didn't like the initial keyboard single note walk up over the top of the intro. WAY to predictable. Other than that, it's decent music, and I think if you do market it as Christian music, you could sell a few CDs. Granted, I only listened to the first song, as this is not my cup of tea. I tried to go back just now to listen to the others so I could give you a better opinion, but I couldn't get the songs to play this time. That's all I've got.

• Members

Well, I listened to them all.

The recording and production are top notch. The mix is pretty much perfect, as far as I can tell. The vocals are great, the performances by everyone is really clean.

The songs themselves are a bit ordinary sounding. I hate to say that, because the production is just so good. Christian music is a genre that is suffering from too much sameness, IMO, too much, I don't know... ordinariness is the only word I can think of to describe it. It's like every worship band has a high tenor vocalist with an acoustic guitar, a clean distortion lead guitar, bass, drums and maybe a keyboard, and eveything is...nice. This seems to spill over into the non-worship Christian music, as well. Too much of it is forgettable, or played with skill and precision but no real energy... I don't know. While it's well done, the songs just seem to lack that something, that up-in-your-face attention grabbing factor, probablybecause as Christians, the object is not to be the focus of attention, but to place attention on Him. That's probably not a bad thing if you're only interested in playing for Christians, but if you want to reach the world, you gotta be more than ordinary.

And your website said "Christian rock/funk"...but I didn't hear any funk at all.

Just an observation. And just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

All the best.

• Members

Originally posted by jrm27

Hey everyone:

1) We've already sold a good amount at shows, and some online too., but I tought I'd come seeking advice from the masters (or at least those that have gone before us).

2) Any words of wisdom woudl be greatly appreciated.

1) What's a good amount mean? Like you, just trying to get an idea what the "benchmarks" are ... so curious as to what constitutes a "good amount" ... 500 total at 50 shows or 50 total at 5 shows, etc?

2) Appreciated how??? :p

3) How much did it cost in total for the recording? Again, just trying to get an idea of the "benchmark" ... how much to expect to pay for a real, sellable quality of record, etc.

p.s. I photogged over 90 bands in the last year, catching over 130 performances [photogged a number of bands more than once]. About 3/4's of these are Christian, mostly tooth n nail/bec type.

• Members

I suppose I should have confined my remarks to the questions at hand, so here' some info:

try some Christian music distributors.

http://www.emicmg.com/

http://www.worddistribution.com/

http://www.maranathamusic.com/frontpage2.html

I have a really good friend who is pretty high up in Maranatha. His name is Holland Davis.

http://www.indieheaven.com/

http://www.cnidist.com/dmgpres2.htm

there are lots more. I'd contact them all.

You'll need to prepare a "one sheet."

http://www.bob-baker.com/musicpromotionblog/2005/02/one-sheets-what-they-are-how-to-use.html

http://www.indiebible.com/icb/musicdistributionarticle.shtml

You should be aware that most distributors are going to want to know where you're playing, how much you're playing, and so on.

It isn't that hard to get distribution, IF you can demonstrate that you have a decent product (you do) and IF you can demosntrate that you're playing in a lrge area. They aren't going to be keen on distributing your CD in say, the Southeast if you aren't making a presence there. But they might, so it never hurts to ask.

best of luck to you.

• Members

Thanks you guys. I really am thankful that you went on over to our site and listened, and gave us good and useful feedback... Honestly, thank you.

I am not going to sit here and try to defend anything, because I am honestly thankful for your feedback and your assesment of our music. We are constantly changing and trying to grow, so these words are helpful to us as we expand our sound. In fact, the songs we have prepared for the new disc are different sounding, and hopefully may be considered in a different light. But that is neither here nor there.

Blue Strat:

Thank yoy for the list of Distribution as well. In a strange case of serendipity, Holland Davis actually contacted us quite a while ago to see if we would send our music to a few of his contacts. Now that we have our disc, we are getting that stuff in the mail. Tell him we said "hello" if you would! We'd really apprecaite that! He seems like a great guy, and really has written some wonderful songs that have blessed us and our churches.

ConcertPhotoZine:

Yes, thank you for your questions. I will answer as best as I can.

(a) as of now we have sold nearly 300 or so I would say. That's been with one show, and a few internet sales. So, while we are happy with that, we definitely wouldn't mind moving more product!

(b) just appreciative in general!:D

© Well, I don't have the final numbers on the recording cost.. our finance guy takes care of that. However, we have come out of the process debt free if that helps. It's kinda nice that from here on out, we're not trying to recoup recording costs.

Thanks again everyone! I'd be glad to hear what else you have to say! If anything I said needs more explanation, let me know!

• Members

I also gave a listen, BlueStrat pretty much covered all the bases and was not kidding about the production! Wow, it's not often you hear that kind of quality.

I also have to echo the sentiment "What funk?!" :p

The music is good, I really liked Nobody Knows; can really hear the Newsboys influence in that one.

Well I guess I don't really have any advice on selling the CDs...sorry.:cry:

• Members

thanks VL!

The funk is a little more predominant in our newer stuff that we do live... thus the tag!

Thanks for the kind words on the production. Glad you like it! Thanks for the listen man. Your avatar terrifies me!

Archived