Making the move to weding gigs. Yeah, I know...

pktaskes

• Members

Are you guys the blues brothers? LMAO!!

Originally posted by Iamtheblues

I did two weddings over the years and will never do another. The last one, the father of the bride and I had an altercation and we had to be seperated by the best man (the father of the bride asked me to turn down "it's a wedding, not a Goddamned rock concert", so I did the pretend knob turn, a few tunes later he got in my face threatening to "bust me up" and he would've too, he was a big dude.) I wound up turning down a bit, but as the night wore on I snuck it back up.

On top of this the bassist was caught groping a cousin of the bride who turned out to be 14, she told him she was 18 (she looked it) and had him getting her drinks. It all ended with the bride in tears and her mother screaming at us, our keyboard player (a woman, who was {censored}faced an hour into it) yelled back at her "shaddup ya fat {censored}, she's just gonna get divorced in a few years anyhow."

• Members

I did two weddings over the years and will never do another. The last one, the father of the bride and I had an altercation and we had to be seperated by the best man (the father of the bride asked me to turn down "it's a wedding, not a Goddamned rock concert", so I did the pretend knob turn, a few tunes later he got in my face threatening to "bust me up" and he would've too, he was a big dude.) I wound up turning down a bit, but as the night wore on I snuck it back up.

On top of this the bassist was caught groping a cousin of the bride who turned out to be 14, she told him she was 18 (she looked it) and had him getting her drinks. It all ended with the bride in tears and her mother screaming at us, our keyboard player (a woman, who was {censored}faced an hour into it) yelled back at her "shaddup ya fat {censored}, she's just gonna get divorced in a few years anyhow."

This is why our band will never do a wedding. Too much potential for disaster. Our guitar player would probably end up in a fight with the best man. The drummer would be bangin some chic in the bathroom - best case scenario, the Maid of Honor - worst case, the Bride. Our singer would be heel-toeing it James Brown style in the meatball tray.... just a bad scene.

• Members

Nah, just in our early 20's (at the time) looking to party and take on the world....

I dunno....If my keyboard player was drunk before the first set was over, if I didn't turn down when the boss asked, if my drummer was buying under-age girls drinks -- it wouldn't matter if it were a bar gig, a blues festival, a wedding or a private party. It would be {censored}ed-up behavior.

I started gigging when I was 13 and learned early on that I would have a lot more fun, and make decent money doing it, if I had a professional attitude. Being a 10-year vet by my early 20s, I came to terms with the fact that my band was hired to entertain those who paid us. If we were into it just to entertain ourselves, we coulda stayed in the basement.

• Members

yep, wedding gigs are tough. You may want to offer some other type gigs like private parties for boating clubs, the annual pigroasts at some condo/apartment tenant appreciation day and so on. We put a sign up at a Grocery Store and got a few calls for graduation parties.

That's less dressed up and more causual if that's what you are looking for. They want to be as entertained as most at a wedding.

I did some fill in's on guitar for a wed band and it was very challenging since I was no where near being used to the atmosphere. Instead of a Hughes Kettner, I had to bring a small Peavey. I'd admit it was fun though. And yes, You have to smile a lot and make a lot of comments. I laughed at the singer since the bride was prolly 400lbs and he made a comment about her being so gorgeous with her blue eyes. You couldn't see them really. So she gets in the mic and says the singer is coloblind, these here eyes are brown! Funny to watch him turn green! Our next break was interesting. Then the REAL comments came forward!

Archived